Will Leaving the OIL Fill cap off for a few miles

FalconofFreedom

Registered
Effect Circulating OIL negitively or Positively?

My friend picked up his Busa put a 100 miles on it changed the Oil and had his cap on loosly it fell off bike "Busa" and not until he felt oil on his leg did he realize the fill cap was gone.....
He cleaned up mess and had to put in a Half a Quart and found his oil cap & put it on.

I said he wont have any issues all sounds and looks good...He has over 1000 miles on it now........His bike seams faster to me when I ride it..over my Busa....

cool thats what I said!

Maybe helped keep the clutch a little cooler is all..LOL  
beerchug.gif

It would only damage the engine if he ran it low enough to starve the oil pump. 1/2 a quart is no big geal...he's lucky this time
argue.gif

(BA BUSA @ May 31 2007,23:23) It would only damage the engine if he ran it low enough to starve the oil pump. 1/2 a quart is no big geal...he's lucky this time  
argue.gif
Yep - definately lucky.. how did he find the cap?

(MC MUSTANG @ May 31 2007,21:34)
(BA BUSA @ May 31 2007,23:23) It would only damage the engine if he ran it low enough to starve the oil pump. 1/2 a quart is no big geal...he's lucky this time  
argue.gif
Could have ran it low and blew the motor or got oil on the rear tire and CRASHED
wink.gif

(MC MUSTANG @ May 31 2007,21:34)
argue.gif
He found it at the end of his driveway!

Rode about 6 miles one way.........then noticed!
Came home with His driving Hand in the hole part of the time...with the Fast Idle all the way on!

So it takes 12 miles to loose a half a quart.....

But hear is the Kicker,.....He said he had it up to 170mph at the 5 mile point.........came around 2 curves Twice...........And yes he had Oil on The Back TIRE!..Not too bad though.

I watched him pull back in his driveway pissed.........He said he thought he had a $10,000 paper weight........... if he lost any more oil he would have!...LOL but is was only half a quart.

Not being an automotive engineer I couldn't speculate with any confidence however, I would be concerned with a low oil pressure condition in the top of the motor. Just my $0.02

(newmill @ May 31 2007,22:36) Not being an automotive engineer I couldn't speculate with any confidence however, I would be concerned with a low oil pressure condition in the top of the motor. Just my $0.02
Thanks..........hmmm

Potentially causing premature wear to cams?....Cam chain?

The oil pump is what circulates oil through the motor not crankcase pressure, and I don't see how a 1/7 loss in oil capacity could uncover the pickup tube.

I think the motor is fine and he is very lucky.

i would be angry too if i lose my cap but then again i dont think i have ever put something on that loose before
all_coholic.gif

(bitabur @ May 31 2007,21:43) Suppose maybe some dirt could make its way in there if it was off for a while...
I would be more concern about dirt getting in the system after riding 100 miles. I know dust and grit will be in there. And Yeah, the filter will probably clean it, BUT, I just  wouldn't be willing to take that chance. CHANGE THE OIL and FILTER ! That's a Cheap price for not having to worry  
beerchug.gif

(DaCol. @ Jun. 01 2007,06:10)
(bitabur @ May 31 2007,21:43) Suppose maybe some dirt could make its way in there if it was off for a while...
I would be more concern about dirt getting in the system after riding 100 miles. I know dust and grit will be in there. And Yeah, the filter will probably clean it, BUT, I just  wouldn't be willing to take that chance. CHANGE THE OIL and FILTER ! That's a Cheap price for not having to worry  
beerchug.gif
He only Rode it 12 MILES with the cap off...................

He had a hundred miles on it when he changed the break-in oil.
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

(DaCol. @ Jun. 01 2007,09:10)
beerchug.gif
Excellent advice ... pretty cheap way to help ensure there's no dirt in there.

(FalconofFreedom @ Jun. 01 2007,06:34)
(DaCol. @ Jun. 01 2007,06:10)
beerchug.gif
He only Rode it 12 MILES with the cap off...................

He had a hundred miles on it when he changed the break-in oil.
beerchug.gif
The question would still be, just how far do you need to  go to get dirt in the system ? Well, it depends on the road and what's on the surface ! Since I wasn't there, and I assume he rode on a normal street, IT was dirty. Probably nothing went in, but the cost of the repair if it did would more than out weigh the cost of just an oil and filter change  
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

And I was pissed when I left my oil plug out and wasted a few quarts of oil on the garage floor,
laugh.gif

Back