Oil Light Question

paineless4u

Donating Member
Registered
Ok so I'm a bit paranoid I guess but when I start the beast up the oil light comes on for about 5-10 seconds and then shuts off. I just bought the bike and I noticed that the factory oil that was put in was about 1/3 quart low. I changed the oil (didn't wanna mix the oils) and filled it up a hair above the Full Line on the site glass,,,,,,,,,oil light still comes on??? The freaking bike has 8 miles on it,,,,MSF Course is Weds,,,,,,,then I get to enjoy riding the baddest beast around. But the oil light is still concerning me,,,,,any inputs?

Ok so I'm a bit paranoid I guess but when I start the beast up the oil light comes on for about 5-10 seconds and then shuts off. I just bought the bike and I noticed that the factory oil that was put in was about 1/3 quart low. I changed the oil (didn't wanna mix the oils) and filled it up a hair above the Full Line on the site glass,,,,,,,,,oil light still comes on??? The freaking bike has 8 miles on it,,,,MSF Course is Weds,,,,,,,then I get to enjoy riding the baddest beast around. But the oil light is still concerning me,,,,,any inputs?
The only time I remember the oil light stayin' on that long on mine was right after I changed the oil and filter. Prolly took a few seconds to prime the filter and system again. Other than that I don't remember it ever stayin' on for more than just a few seconds. Nowhere near 10 that I remember.

I agree with BT mine doesn't stay on but maybe 2 seconds after start up. Put some more miles on it and see if it changes or take it back to the dealer.
wink.gif

I once had my drain plug come out while doing things I shouldn't be doing. Anyway oil was emptied out before I knew it was happening and the oil light came on. I got her home filled her back up after getting another plug. The light stayed on for over a minute. I shut it off and called my stealership. He said he couldn't find anything in the books, so w=he said just run it. I went out turned it on and it took three minutes for it to turn off. I thought my motor was fu##ed. 3,000 miles later no problems.

your oil filter is getting drained while the engine is off overnight, which it shouldn't do that. i will take it to a dealership & let them take a look at it. there is a chack valve that will keep your engine oil filter full of oil while your engine is off overnight, looks like the check valve is stuck or maybe missing. let them check it out.

I started the beast up a few times yesterday and the oil light went off immediately now. Might have just been circulating the new oil around after the oil change. All seems good now:)

Don't mess around with oil lights...it could just be a bad oil light sending unit....or an actual oil starvation prob. It should be on for a few secs after an oil/filter change...otherwise it should go off quick...always. Be careful, Suzuki will prolly try and blame you if you seize it up and you haven't at least reported the prob to your dealer.
wink.gif

Everyone is right about the light turning off immediately. First crank of the starter and my light is off. 5 to 10 seconds is normal right after an oil change. All start ups after that and the light should go off instantly...there is no "circulating" that needs to be done.

Listen to TBRO and take it to the dealer. Make sure they give you a detailed invoice stating the problem and what was done. Also make sure it's dated and signed. If the engine starts burning oil or if you spin a bearing 6 months from now they won't be able to blame you.

I once had my drain plug come out while doing things I shouldn't be doing. Anyway oil was emptied out before I knew it was happening and the oil light came on. I got her home filled her back up after getting another plug. The light stayed on for over a minute. I shut it off and called my stealership. He said he couldn't find anything in the books, so w=he said just run it. I went out turned it on and it took three minutes for it to turn off. I thought my motor was fu##ed. 3,000 miles later no problems.
Holy crap...you ran the bike with no oil?  Then you let it idle for several minutes with no oil pressure?
wow.gif

Also what's the name of the dealership that gave you that retarded advice?  Corky's MotorSports?
I mean shid...someone calls the dealership and tells them the oil light on their bike won't turn off and they need to look this problem up in a book?!?  Then they tell you to run it that way?  HAHAHA
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Turbo-Torch
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098661729 -->

Back