07 oil warning light

BOOOSA

Registered
Oil warning light questions,my oil level is fine but at start up and off the light comes on then off.Should I be concerned? Dealer told me if it comes on when riding to bring it in right away is this normal?
Thanks
rock.gif

Oil light while running means ZERO oil pressure or the wire going from the sensor on the bottom of the motor up to the plug under the tank is grounding out. If you have NO OIL pressure, thats VERY VERY bad, regardless of bike/car/lawnmower/etc. Any engine without oil pressure is going to destroy itself.

Check the wire from the oil sending unit and make sure its not frayed or pinched on something, seen it happen before and it came on intermittengly.

not normal I have a 2007 with almost 16,000 miles on her and that oil light did that to me 1 time it was a bad oil filter believe it or not. Change the oil and filter if it still happens take it to the dealer it is an 2007 1 year warentee. Mine is covered till july 11 2008

I dont know if im reading this right but.. On every bike ive owned the oil light comes on when the bike is shut off and goes off when its started up. If, on startup its going off, coming on then going back off, maybe its a prob. Maybe a failing oil pump. Maybe a new filter?

The light will illuminate until the engine starts and builds oil pressure - this is normal.

I got and intermittent oil light out of mine at idle when the bike was new and the dealer had the idle set way too low. 30k miles later, no problems.

Ummm...errr...uhhhh......don't drive this vehicle until you've checked idle speed, sender operation, and wire quality. THEN check oil filter for clogging, THEN check oil pump output pressure. Many shops, have a screw in pressure gauge that will validate pump pressure output....."Don't guess, validate or you'll PAY...."
super.gif

THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT WILL BE ON IF THE BIKE IS OFF WITH THE IGNITION ON, NO OIL PRESSURE, SO THE SENSOR GOES TO GROUND, THAT'S NORMAL. ONCE THE BIKE IS STARTED IT SHOULD GO OFF RIGHT AWAY, IF IT STAYS ON OR GOES OFF AND THEM COMES BACK ON THEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM..SO IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS IT COMES ON WHEN YOU GO TO START THE BIKE, AND IT GOES OFF WHEN THE BIKE IS STARTED THEN THAT'S NORMAL.

THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT WILL BE ON IF THE BIKE IS OFF WITH THE IGNITION ON, NO OIL PRESSURE, SO THE SENSOR GOES TO GROUND, THAT'S NORMAL. ONCE THE BIKE IS STARTED IT SHOULD GO OFF RIGHT AWAY, IF IT STAYS ON OR GOES OFF AND THEM COMES BACK ON THEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM..SO IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS IT COMES ON WHEN YOU GO TO START THE BIKE, AND IT GOES OFF WHEN THE BIKE IS STARTED THEN THAT'S NORMAL.
+1 It comes on when you turn the ignition to on... Then when you start it it goes off? That is normal... All you care about is, when running you do not have a light...

When key is on and bike is not running the oil light is supposed to be on!
It should shut off after bike is started.

Back