Why won't my laptop

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, I bought a laptop off a friend for $50 (2002 Compaq Presario 2700). Anyone have an idea why I can't get a wallpaper on it? It runs XP.

Just Shoot The Thing !
guns.gif

2002? Ooooh...

How are you trying to change the background? You should be able to right click and "Set as desktop background". If it doesn't work, let me know exactly what happens...

2002? Ooooh...

How are you trying to change the background? You should be able to right click and "Set as desktop background". If it doesn't work, let me know exactly what happens...
I try that, and just plain nothing happens. I've even gone into the properties where you change the background, font, etc... And it won't even let me click on a background pic from the factory settings...

okay, if I right click a pic on the net, it gives the option of setting as the background, but the background stays the same color as before... No picture, just a color...

did you get the xp software. I'd just reinstall windows and start all over with a clean pc.

I'll see if he has it. I'm thinking of running Linux at the suggestion of my brother...

I'll see if he has it. I'm thinking of running Linux at the suggestion of my brother...
if anyone has a windows program I'd just put that disc in and overwrite everything. so you end up with a brand new pc. any worms or viruses or bugs will be gone
It just dawned on me, RSD sent me a XP business disc on a pay it forward. I'll use that if I do it, but I'm still curious why it's acting like this...

if anyone has a windows program I'd just put that disc in and overwrite everything. so you end up with a brand new pc. any worms or viruses or bugs will be gone
It just dawned on me, RSD sent me a XP business disc on a pay it forward. I'll use that if I do it, but I'm still curious why it's acting like this...
im not a pc guru by any means. but have you tried a hard reboot

while I honestly think Revlis is on the right track
laugh.gif

account with admin rights is a good place to start. If you right click on the desktop and go to properties, does it allow you to change the settings for the background there? If not, I'd rebuild the beotch and start over.

while I honestly think Revlis is on the right track
laugh.gif

account with admin rights is a good place to start.  If you right click on the desktop and go to properties, does it allow you to change the settings for the background there?  If not, I'd rebuild the beotch and start over.
What is a beotch its it similar to a thingymagig
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Did you mean Bios or has my dyslexia moved to my right toe.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

The desktop is locked? Right click on the bottom blue bar and you should see it in the pop up.

So nothing is greyed out? You can make the change, it doesn't stick? What's on the background now? Solid color? If so, you may have a piece of malware. Run Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware (fully updated) on your PC. Also a VirusScan.

Back