I dropped my laptop :(

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
After almost 3 years it finally happened, the laptop hit the floor. My foot caught the Ethernet cable and by the time.I turned around, it was too late. I'm barrowing a friends tuning laptop for now.
Can the screens be replaced on these things without it being cost prohibitive? It's a Compaq presario CQ50.
aefc33f9-0300-f4c2.jpg

Droid via Tapatalk

I can change bike oil, swap exhausts and general mechanical stuff, does that mean i can swap the screens or is it more complicated than I think?

I can change bike oil, swap exhausts and general mechanical stuff, does that mean i can swap the screens or is it more complicated than I think?

If you are mechanically inclined it should be easy enough for you :thumbsup:

Of course, you will need smaller tools than you use on the bike :laugh:

If you are mechanically inclined it should be easy enough for you :thumbsup:

Of course, you will need smaller tools than you use on the bike :laugh:

So the medium sledge hammer, got it.

Thanks for the advice Sir:bowdown:

Anyone else got any good info for the Frog, we all know I cant get enough help sometimes:laugh:

So the medium sledge hammer, got it.

No, no, no ... the "small" sledge hammer. And you will need a roll of duct tape as well to hold the new screen on, once you get the old out with the sledge hammer.

Search Youtube, there are a number of vids showing how to do it. The one below is for a cq-56 - which should be pretty similar.

Presario CQ56 Laptop Screen Replacement Procedure - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
frog you will need a security bit set probably. It can be tricky to change these out. Keep in mind they are sensitive to static. Do not force anything as it will break then you be screwed. There should be a few connectors that go to the lcd panel. Be sure to be gentle with these as they snap easy and its hard to tell were they do.

Shouldnt be that hard to replace. You should not have to worry about static too much. Never replaced an LCD screen on a laptop before but it probably isnt that hard.

It's not that hard, get a good walkthrough and take your time. I've been fixing all my stuff and my friends for years. iPhones laptops PCs xbox's PS3's cells. It's all easy just go slow and take your time.

You have to have the security bits or you'll be s.o.l. Take your time, use a static mat and strap just in case. Be very careful with the wiring harness...use the 'mini sledge hammer'!

I just keep dropping mine to remove the screen :dunno:

Works for reseating boards and connectors as well :laugh:

replacing the screen is doable but you should evaluate the cost. New laptops will almost certainly smoke the performance of the one you have and will cost anywhere from 400 and up. You can easily take the drive from that one and put it in an external case to get stuff off of it.

Just think it through and shop the lower priced laptop market, you might find its a better value to spend more $$ and upgrade the entire thing :thumbsup:

na dont break it...put it on ebay....used in good condition... the only thing wrong is the screen is not working. slight bump. should be an easy fix. 500 dollar reserve!

So many options! :banghead:
Gonna have a techy friend of mine look at it, see about replacing the screen and price new laptops we'll see what seems easiest and the best value. I really on need internet, pics/vid storage and of coarse MS paint :whistle:
Zukracer-I didn't even think about the external drive thing, there is definitely stuff on there I want to get moved to a new if I go that route, thank you :thumbsup:
Droid via Tapatalk

Hook it up to your tv via dvi/VGA (most flat screens use VGA, or a pc monitor) and transfer your stuff to a portable drive, then erase all content and call it a day

Back