Why wear gloves

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
Gloves

Motorcycle gloves need to keep your hands warm but not sweaty. They need to be sufficiently robust to provide protection from injuries in a crash without restricting your ability to operate the controls. They need to be designed and fitted to stay on your hands in a crash.

About 30% of motorcyclists' injuries are to the hands and 23% to the wrists (Otte et al, 1987). Imagine what it is like to lose part or all of the functions of your hands.

1accident134.jpg

How about a graphic warning so I don't open this during my breakfast....???

My gear has saved my hide. I don't even want to know what my hands would look like had I not worn it.
Posted via Mobile Device

riding without gloves? NEVER NEVER NEVER..... my grips are allergic to raw skin and they will fall off if touched by human hands :) ...

bike has never been ridden without gloves..

mmm my hands looked a little worse than that when i went down. Shorts/t shirt and no gloves.. never.. NEVER again will i leave without gloves and jacket. Heres some of the better parts of my legs... Rest of it was too bad to unbandage!

Dsc00285.jpg

Dsc00286.jpg

Dsc00287.jpg

Oftentimes, the hand will get trapped under the body and grind off the knuckles as it's sliding down the pavement with the body weight pressing down on it. Make sure you have armor on the back of the glove.

The palm is commonly injured because people also have another tendency to "Superman" across the pavement and scrape away their palms as shown in the picture. Also, it's a natural tendency to attempt to catch oneself by putting the hand down during a fall. With the added effect of forward motion, the palm is severely abraded. Nasty injury. Make sure your glove has ample padding in the palm. Armor is not practical in the palm, though, because it impairs the ability to work the controls of the bike. But a couple extra leather pads will help a great deal.

--Wag--

Back