Why don't manufacturers...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Motorcycle manufacturers in the superbike realm (GSX-R, Ninja, CBR, R1, etc.) are all competing against each other in comparos showing which bikes have the top HP and lightest weight with buyers typically wanting the bikes with the most/best this and that.

So why in the hell wouldn't they put on exhaust systems that would produce even more HP and lighten the motorcycle to start with?

Example: The ZX-14 comes out and has a little more HP and TQ than the Busa and an umpteenth faster time in the 1/4. But put a full aftermarket exhaust on the Busa and it drops weight and adds as much as maybe 20 HP if custom tuned.

So why wouldn't Suzuki just put an exhaust sytem like this off the showroom floor? Why do they dumb their motorcycles down with exhaust systems inferior to aftermarket systems?

three letters and an icon.

EPA ...... $

they havn't had a 'need' to do anything to it for 8 years....others are just now catching up.

How can the aftermarketers sell exhaust systems that don't meet EPA requirements then? I mean they are model specific. Couldn't the EPA simply state that this exhaust system doeas not meet EPA requirements while used on this motorcycle?

(Over_Easy @ Mar. 21 2007,12:13) How can the aftermarketers sell exhaust systems that don't meet EPA requirements then?  I mean they are model specific.  Couldn't the EPA simply state that this exhaust system doeas not meet EPA requirements while used on this motorcycle?
They do. And CAL EPA is putting the hammer down right now. Call a Cali Harley dealer and ask if they'll sell you a Screamin Eagle exhaust. You'll hear an earfull about the EPA
tounge.gif

it's measured at 5200rpms ...me thinks.

one of the reasons so many are marked "for off road use only" ... or "race only" and never have a DOT stamp embossed on them.

the harldleys aren't an different. they are just tolerated more because of the sheer numbers and "types" of yuppies that currently buy them.
those bikes are actually pretty quiet when in OEM form.

A real prick of a popo...."could" site every bike on the streeet with an aftermarket pipe not given a DOT approval or CARB number.

(Over_Easy @ Mar. 21 2007,14:37)
(Revlis @ Mar. 21 2007,12:31) Umm....

NOISE.
Is that noise measured at idle?  Max decibles?

How can a Harley ever be sold then?
Totally. Any Harley right out of the showroom will cause you to go deaf! Damn, even my dad's Yamaha Roadstar will make your eardrums bleed.

(PaNDeM1C @ Mar. 21 2007,22:50)

NOISE.

Totally. Any Harley right out of the showroom will cause you to go deaf! Damn, even my dad's Yamaha Roadstar will make your eardrums bleed.
laugh.gif

(PaNDeM1C @ Mar. 22 2007,01:50)

NOISE.

Not true.........
New Harleys are not loud at all. Aftermarket pipes make em loud. Usually the first mod done.

Will they turn 5200 RPM to be checked for db, tho? Hmmmm???
laugh.gif

Define 'optimal'.

Remember, more volume = less pressure which means more HP, but at the cost of torque.

Plus, you have noise, resonance, exhaust pressure timing... those kind of things that change when you remove the stockers.

(PaNDeM1C @ Mar. 21 2007,22:50)

NOISE.
Is that noise measured at idle? Max decibles?

Um, NO You're wrong, H-D with OEM pipes are whisper quiet... No Foolin. Almost none of the hammer heads that buy Harleys leave them stock for long though.

Noise is still pretty much one of the biggest reasons OEMs cannot put a lightweight "optimized" system on their machines. In regards to DOT/EPA restrictions it doesn't freaking matter where or how it's tested in this case, our after market systems are beyond whats acceptable 90% of the time from idle to redline.

So Harleys are sold because their factory OEM pipes are Very very Quiet. But 99% of the fuggin owners have stage one done before the bike ever leaves the showroom so it "Sounds like a Harley".

Back