Why do smart phones never get viruses?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Just curious why iPhones and Droids don't have to have things like Norton anti-virus or others on them? You are surfing the same net right? Why is it PCs are so vulnerable and phones aren't?

Please explain in simple English for us simpletons :)

Thank you.

There are several malaware an spyware bugs for android platforms. Apple controls how apps can be installed on their portable projects. By doing so they limit the ability for malicious programs to be installed to almost Zero.

There are several malaware an spyware bugs for android platforms. Apple controls how apps can be installed on their portable projects. By doing so they limit the ability for malicious programs to be installed to almost Zero.

Why cant microsoft do this??

The simple answer is, viruses are programs. Most viruses are spread through email or web sites. Virus programs are written for an OS and or browser. Cell phone email and web browsing is not the same as on a PC. Virus programmers usually stick to one OS or the big use ones where they will see large scale results. OS and browsers vary from carrier to carrier and phone to phone. A virus would have to be written for each phone on each carrier.

i just got an email from norton about their new product for android platforms...anti virus/ anti malware. its coming you just wait. and android will be hit first and the hardest. unfortunately i run the original motorola droid till a new product comes out i just have to have.

if they are there and you do recogize them...all for the better for the bad guys...if that is the case that there exisits a problem and there ane not that many security programs...then you just found a new target market

Ew, norton is garbage. Microsoft security essentials runs pretty light on the background and is free. Coupled with cc cleaner (also free) your good to go (as far as pc is concerned) as for my phone, idk y, but I'm not complaining.

I only used Norton as an example. Just curious why on 'safari' for iPhone when surfing the net you never get the kind o probs you can encounter with a Pc? I understand each virus is a program but still wonder why these phones don't crap out like a Pc does.

I have heard that Mac in general is pretty virus free. I know to make an app for the iPhone, iPad, or other systems from them you have to use a Mac and one of their programs and it also is reviewed. That's alot of quality control, but I wouldn't trade my pc for a make any day soon. That doesn't really cover what's on the net though.

I only used Norton as an example. Just curious why on 'safari' for iPhone when surfing the net you never get the kind o probs you can encounter with a Pc? I understand each virus is a program but still wonder why these phones don't crap out like a Pc does.

Because the hackers are lazy.

I have heard that Mac in general is pretty virus free. I know to make an app for the iPhone, iPad, or other systems from them you have to use a Mac and one of their programs and it also is reviewed. That's alot of quality control, but I wouldn't trade my pc for a make any day soon. That doesn't really cover what's on the net though.

The apps I understand are clean and tested safe. I was taking about Internet browsing. A site that may give your Pc probs will be fine on your phone?

I imagine that Hacks are coming for phones/pads. PC(Windows) is still the largest market when dealing with finances and such. It's the same reason Mac users claim to be hack free. They aren't. Just less likely to come across one. Hacks are written to modify the OS. It all boils down to who is the largest target. If you had a choice to advertise,would you use a flyer's in a laundry mat or the local newspaper? News paper(I hope) to get more business.

Rough example...
Busa and Z14 motors work the same,but the computers that operate them aren't interchangeable. Both use similar programs but tailored to each. To modify these you need programs that will communicate with them. Same goes for Windows,Mac,Phones,etc...

Back