Who uses a top case on their Hayabusa?

RedBusaRider - He you Go!

1. What size case do you have and are you happy with the size or do you wish that you had a different size?

55 Liter, I am happy with the Size. Can hold my Shoei X12 No Problem.

2. Did you get one with brake lights and turn signals built in OR did you install them?

No / No / No - Reflector Only.

3. What do you usually carry in it, or do you use it mostly for storage?

Carry depends on lenght of Trip. IF around Town, I carry my ID, Insurance, Garage Door Opener, STUFF. On Longer Trips, I use the Trunk for stuff I need to geto to without repacking everything. I use a Tail bag for Packed Stuff, and a Tank Bag for stuff I need Quick. Like My Glock:whistle:

Sometimes for Storage, so the suff I need to go Riding is always on the Bike where I can Find It.

4. What is the most weight that you have put in it? How did it handle that weight?

I never exceed twenty pounds. It really changes the handling because of the weight higher Up. Your Rack should give weight Numbers.

5. Do you take it on and off alot? Or do you keep it on all the time?

I used to take it off alot, but now I store my riding stuff in it so it stays on. I got a Few Comments about how it makde the Bike Look Funny, But it Sure Comes in Handy.

6. Do you leave it on if you have a passenger? If so, did you get a backrest pad for it?

I can leave mine on, but don't advise using it as a backrest It has one.

Advice - Don't overload the Trunk, it will affect the Handling. It Creates Drag and will affect your MPG.

Pictures

Img_00044.jpg

Img_00045.jpg

Img_00049.jpg

Thanks Stealth_Busa for the info. :thumbsup:

My bad, I didn't ask people to state what make they have. Can I assume yours is a Givi? Coocase's are another good one, right?

55 liters is about the biggest right? Do you think it would hold your helmet, a Joe Rocket Jacket and gloves?
I would like to not always have to carry those into a store etc.

Also which mount do you have?
I have the SWMoto. Is that what you have?

Can I also assume that most, if not all top cases come with their own mount?

You stated that you wouldn't use it as/for a back rest... so would you take it off if you had a passenger?

Thanks again for everyone's input. :beerchug:

My bad, I didn't ask people to state what make they have. Can I assume yours is a Givi? Coocase's are another good one, right?

Garage Pro Motorcycle Travel Trunks - JCWhitney

55 liters is about the biggest right? Do you think it would hold your helmet, a Joe Rocket Jacket and gloves?
I would like to not always have to carry those into a store etc.

The Details say 40Liters, but that is Wrong. It is referencing the Smaller Case, read the Reviews.

Also which mount do you have?
I have the SWMoto. Is that what you have?

I have a Custom Rack from WWW.MUTAZU. COM.

Can I also assume that most, if not all top cases come with their own mount?

Yes, a mount / base is included.

You stated that you wouldn't use it as/for a back rest... so would you take it off if you had a passenger?

Yes / No, It comes off Easy, but if I needed the Space, I would just ask them Not to Lean on it. But that it because of the way my Rack have to come so far forward to mount under the Seat.

Pictures -

Hope THis Helps

Stealth

Img_00052.jpg

Img_00053.jpg

Img_00054.jpg

Img_00057.jpg

When you buy the SH45 did you need to buy anything extra to install it? i just got a busa and looking for a top case.

I don’t know that particular top case, but you’ll also need a rack and appropriate adapter plate for whatever case you use.

(...)Is there anything else I should know about top cases before I buy?(...)

SW moto is a very good choice & so far ok, size of case is up to you
i got the "fat" one for my ´00 gen I and made more than 280 km/h (speedo not gps) with a 40 liter case on our highway nr. a2 (hunting a V12 mercedes for ~ 50 mi - he thought his car is fast - har har har)
no probs at all with the case

but 1 question i have if you have also a gen I ´99 or ´00
your rear frame is made original in alu did you already change to one of steel ?
if still alu you can come into big trouble - mine (alu) was broken two times same moment
what made the rear fall down to the tire.
case mounted with ~ 10-12 kg load + my girlfriend 65 kg

i strongly recommend the steel one of the ´01-´07 as the only choice - change as quick as possible - my experiance some years ago.
i needed ~ 1.5 h for change - all the stuff (rear fender incl. cable/wire, ecu ...) can stay where it is - i only changed alu vs. steel by slipping out the alu and pushing in the steel.

a pic of my former haya in vacancy
2011 former one on the train
P1020095.JPG

my actual one in 2019
Cote d´azur (6).jpg

without case - on my trailer
Cote d´azur (15).jpg

Last edited:
I use a Honda top box from their scooter PCX 150 cc . It's lines flow better than Givi to me , and others who have seen the set up in person . About 32 to 34 liters as I was unable to find a exact size . It was lightly modified to fit my SW Motec rack . My son said it has the correct back angle for two up riding . No back pad required if your passenger has a back pad in their jacket .
How it mounts is two finger like hooks in the front that pull onto the rack . Then I drilled a M8 hole through the rack/top case . Use a 50 mm fender washer with a M8 hand knob to tighten under the rack . 10,000 plus miles no issues .

Ill admit the top case looks strange but touring , and many times two people packing its a must for me .
Alone I can get by with my side cases / tank bag .

20171028_113742_HDR.jpg

Hayabusa on FM362 jan 5th 2019.JPG

SW moto is a very good choice & so far ok, size of case is up to you
i got the "fat" one for my ´00 gen I and made more than 280 km/h (speedo not gps) with a 40 liter case on our highway nr. a2 (hunting a V12 mercedes for ~ 50 mi - he thought his car is fast - har har har)
no probs at all with the case

but 1 question i have if you have also a gen I ´99 or ´00
your rear frame is made original in alu did you already change to one of steel ?
if still alu you can come into big trouble - mine (alu) was broken two times same moment
what made the rear fall down to the tire.
case mounted with ~ 10-12 kg load + my girlfriend 65 kg

i strongly recommend the steel one of the ´01-´07 as the only choice - change as quick as possible - my experiance some years ago.
i needed ~ 1.5 h for change - all the stuff (rear fender incl. cable/wire, ecu ...) can stay where it is - i only changed alu vs. steel by slipping out the alu and pushing in the steel.

a pic of my former haya in vacancy
2011 former one on the train
View attachment 1608312
my actual one in 2019
View attachment 1608314

without case - on my trailer
View attachment 1608313

I also have the motech rack w. Topcase.. My experience is that the front wheel gets light&flimsy in 280ish.. With the top box on the passenger seat the bike is rock steady...

Btw.. Sidecases in combination with yoshi r77 on the autobahn is hot! hot! hot!

Mine is about 4 inches tall and about 7 inches across. I put 2 bottles water, wallet, keys, etc. The best thing about this size is I can rest on it in a tuck. It has magnets to hold in place and doesn't scratch the tank and stays put at high speed.

Back