Who is still running the stock tensioner?

We just received a 'busa head in the shop for repair. Lost a 3 dot tensioner. What a mess this thing is . Smacked the valves into the pistons so hard that it broke all the valve guides and damaged a seat.

We will be able to fix it, but it won't be cheap. Bet a tensioner sale to this guy won't be hard.

Jay

Hey CHAOSORISE, How do you adjust the manual tensioner? I ride and race A LOT and I want the utmost reliability and easy maintenance! Thanks

Alan

I have only had to adjust it when I put it on. What I did was take the stock one out and run the bolt in on the manual till it was the same lenght as the stock one. But just to make sure I took the valve cover off and it was perfect about a 1/4" chain slack between cams and no more rattles at cold start up. So far have not had to re-adjust like I said after a hard 3000 miles and 100+ dragstrip passes.

So just pull the valve cover off and adjust it to where there is 1/4" slack between the two sprocketts!! I can do that. Have you pulled the valve cover back off and checked the slack again? How do you know when to adjust it? Noise when cold?

You should have to press on the chain pretty hard to get the 1/4" slack between the cams. You will have to remove the guard over the cam sprockets and chain to do this but it is pretty straight forward once you get the valve cover off. You should be able to hear the chain rattling around if loose and a slight whine if its too tight. Going to pull valve cover in about a month when turbo arrives just to make sure everything is still in order.

Back