Who is still running the stock tensioner?

This is what I got from Schnitz ...

"Part Number ST1300SX $38.95 - we have in stock"

Adjusting is about every 4000 miles (so I'm told). It all appears quite straight forward

Hope this helps. Mine is coming end of week. Bike very rattly at the moment.hhmmmmm :(

Nuts

[This message has been edited by NumbNuts (edited 17 July 2000).]

I am just saying that I have a 3 year warranty so I don't worry Suzuki is going to buy me a motor if it fails.
All the 99 now are suppose to have 2000 tensioners in them if the recall was done.

Sorry about the rest of the world I hope some of the other countries have access to an extended warranty.

i have a 2000 rd/gry with stock tensioner. i only have about 1,500miles on it. i have not noticed anything as of yet. one question,be honest: how often do you have to check the schnitz tensioner? i get on my bike but do a lot of innercity cruisin so i know im not gettin her as much as some of you guys.

johnny i know you feel strong about the warranty my problem is what if you have a warranty your motor pops you take it in and the dealer tells you there out of certian parts your bike could be down for months correct me if i'm wrong but you can't purchase a complete motor any more

Although it must also be remembered there are some issues relating to the manual tensioner as well............

Just to keep the pot on the boil!!

Nuts

So far I have seen the damage to 2 Busas with cam chain tensioner failures(a 99 and 2000 model).Both had bent valves,holed or damaged pistons,metal bits all inside the motor,cracked valve guides and scarred cylinder walls.I ordered my manual tensioner last week.

2000 model with 6,000 miles of riding that could hardly be called easy. No problems of any kind.

Is the tensioner change over hard to do? Is this something anyone can do, or should I send the bike to the shop better? Im afraid I'll jump a cam tooth.

99 model, 7700 miles including strip and closed circuit riding.

There's a rattle (more of a tap) under load - dunno if it's the camchain backing out or what.

I'm still under warrenty so if it goes I'll get a new motor so I'm staying stock at the moment.

I have been debating this one myself - but the subframe snapping when ridden two up has more of my attention at the moment.

Rather telling, isn't it, that Motorhead and Omega (if I read correctly) have both got the automatic tensioner in their bikes? And it is comforting to know they flog their bikes... so I may as well flog mine too.

I've got the recall unit in my 99. I will stay with it for now. The subframe issue is bigger in my opinion.

My local wrench has heard nothing about problems with the recall unit.

OK NumbNuts, fess up, if you know what the problems are with a manual unit.

Maybe we shouldn't have made so much fun of the ZX-12's supposed frame failure problem?

Have a 2000, plan on extended warrenty, and staying stock. I remember my GS1100E requiring manual adjustment a lot more frequently than 4000 miles, like about every 1000 of hard use.

9500 mile on my 99 - stock.

I may be wrong but I don't recall any instances where a board member personally lost a stock tensioner after the 99 recall. If anyone did please post it.

I have a 00 and after 700 miles the tentioner started making noise. At 850 miles I junked the three dot peice of crap and got a manual tentioner. It took about fifteen min. to do. Easey to adjust and is cheap insurance for you motor. I have fifteen hundred miles on the bike now. No noise and runs perfect. I have these tentioners on all my bikes five ZX 11s a turbo 1500 GS track bike and now my Busa. Never had a failer from these tentioners. Ape does a gtreat job on these units.

The unit I am refering to is the tentioner. APE Makes them. And what SHnitz is selling is the APE Tentioner. Shnitz does not make there own tentioners.

Right. I just went to my dealer to pick up long overdue fuel tank heat shield.

Asked the senior mechanic to come and listen to my bike.

I started it up for him and let it idle, and rev to about 4krpm. He turned it off straight away and said that the Cam chain tensioner sounded as though it was getting 'tired'.

This is the second 3 pink dot replacement I have had.
I told him I was putting a manual one on this weekend, he said "Good", and that this one would probably last past that time.
He also said he had heard a few worse ones recently.

well, there you go.

Nuts ;)

Forgot to add, bike has 10,100 miles on

[This message has been edited by NumbNuts (edited 17 July 2000).]

I checked stock when I got in this morning. We have about 20 and are running more at this time.

800-824-1825 818-842-4952

Jay APE

Back