Who is still running the stock tensioner?

OB_ZXALAN

Registered
You know what, screw this $hit, I am getting a manual tensioner, Is there a way to adjust it without taking the valve cover off? Who sells the proper application for the Busa? How can you tell when it needs to be adjusted? I don't give a $hit about warranty, they(suzuki) don't fix the $hit most of the time anyway!

And I might add that along with your new tensioner you will receive the best race parts catalog with more 'busa stuff than any other out there... FREE!!!

My guess is that backlash snap is killing these things. The Legends type cars that are getting these engines are going thru them like crazy I think because of the backoff shock with all that momentum. I'm running a '00 stock and downshifting smooooth. If I start hearing anything, it's outa there. sh't.

hey zxalan i ordered mine today from ape i talked to john you dont need to pull cam cover off according to him watch a qualified mechanic its all in listening to the motor it doesnt sound all that hard to do. also about every 1000 miles is good he said

6K mi. on a Y2K, no problems to date, but I give, being a dumb ****, where in the #$@! are the three dots located?????????

And one more stupid question while I'm at it so its got three dots, does this mean its fixed in Suzzi's mind?

Rhino did you get the Ape? You said you had to shorten the screw but according to an email from Ape, you shouldn't have to and they fixed that 11 months ago.
Lee

Hammerfest, The three pink dots are on the tentioner right above the nut in the middle of tentioner. I don't know if Suzuki thinks that the three dot tentioner is the fix but I did send them the failed tentioner and I am waiting for reply.

Still running stock on 00 , but i'm becoming more concerned every day! I guess for $40 you can't go wrong! Hey J.C or MTH how does this affect warranty on the bike if there's still a failure? any comments concerning that would be appreciated!

Some have two pink dots and others were light blue and some had three pink dots.
All 2000 models have updated tensioners.
If you live in the USA buy the Suzuki Extended warranty and forget about it.

Rinoracing--many thanks, going to go out and check it. Would be interested to hear if Suzuki straps on a pair and does something for you, good luck.

I'd like to know who is still running the stock cam chain tensioner and who is running the manual? Who has had problems with the 3 Pink dot(replacements for recall)tensioners? Who is thinking of chaining to a manual? I don't really want to change to something that requires more maintence(adjusting). Its hard enough just keeping the fuel system working properly but nor do I want to lock it up at 150+mph!!. I am getting tired of working on this thing(2000)and I'd just like to ride, race it, take trips and not have to worry about it blowing up in the middle of nowhere, sending me flying through the air!!Lets hear some opinions!

as much as i dont want to change it i'm calling schnitz racing today and ordering a manual i'm starting to feel a little uneasy about my stock one i have a 00 busa.

I'm still stock on my 2000. (3000 miles) The more I read about it the more I'm considering going manual. I'll have the wrench where I take my bike look at it and give me an honest verdict. Then inquire about the warranty issues if I decide to go wit hthe manual. I was trying not to make any changes to the bike until after I had it for a year.

Johnny,
Do you think the 2000 tensioners are good enough? The dealer said they are pretty indestructible. Do you feel that way?
Lee

Well, My Y2k and my buddies 99 both make a lot of mechanical noise on cold start ups, not knocking, and not clattering, it sounds like it is coming from the tensioner area, he has done the recall on the 99 and it still makes noise, his bike has like 6k miles and my bike has made the noise since day one and though it does not seam to be getting any worse,it only does it cold and at slow idle, once it is warm, it is fine, no noise whatsoever. After reading all of the failures on the board, now I am thinking about it. I have 4k miles and am ready to start taking some trips and I do not want to worry about driveability. The bike is about to be my daily transportation because my 99 Formula is going in for warranty work(blown 6spd)so I don't need the bike to take a dump when I need it most! How do the manual tensioners differ from the stock? I don't want to have to be adjusting it all of the time nor do I want to void the warranty by having a manual tensioner.

Might go Manuel but not sure about price. Here's the price for the stock cam chain tensioner. Santa Clara $62.00, Sunnyvale $55 SeaSide $50. How much is the Manuel unit and how offen you have to adjust it? I have already had the 99busa recall done but the noise has come back!!! Any info is welcome.

I'm still on stock tensioner on a 2000 Busa with 5500 miles no problems yet,but i can't hear dunk anyway lol have 3 year extended warr so...

I have the Stock Tensioner with 1100 miles on a 2000 Blue and Silver ,with no apparent noises .I have not been over 9 grand as of yet! I have done two oil and filter changes so far. I am noticing a power loss however since the first couple of days at lower rpm, and wonder if I have a timing issue with the chain....

Back