Who is in the trucking business?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Amazing, almost 100 years in business, everyone is overloaded with work and these folks have to lay off 2,100 employees and shut down. Boggles my mind.

Looks like it was just mismanaged.
Fortunately trucking jobs are a dime a dozen, you just have to look around a little to find the ones with good pay, schedules, benefits and equipment.
All that company's work will be picked up, and the driver's have lots of options as always.

Looks like it was just mismanaged.
Fortunately trucking jobs are a dime a dozen, you just have to look around a little to find the ones with good pay, schedules, benefits and equipment.
All that company's work will be picked up, and the driver's have lots of options as always.
...and just the other day I read companies were screaming for drivers as there is a huge shortage right now.

...and just the other day I read companies were screaming for drivers as there is a huge shortage right now.
There always is.
Another reason I could care less about people crying about a job, having a low paying job, or no job.
Lots of trucking companies will pay for a bus ticket and tell you when to be there.
All training, room, pay, etc provided.
Agree to drive for them for one year and it's 100% paid, or pay back agreed amount and leave before one year.
Most companies pay first year drivers $40k+.
Get 2 years experience(majority of carriers insurance is much lower for them then), then make $80k to $100k+
See the country on someome else's dime.
Most modern trucks are pretty luxurious by automotive standards too.
Don't like being away from home?
No problem, local and home daily jobs are there too.
I drove for quite a few years, before it really became a job, and I got tired of dodging idiots on their phones all day.
I've been back at my old type of work nearly 7 years now(lab tech in QC in big machine shop), miss driving somedays, but enjoy seeing my daughter every day alot more.

There always is.
Another reason I could care less about people crying about a job, having a low paying job, or no job.
Lots of trucking companies will pay for a bus ticket and tell you when to be there.
All training, room, pay, etc provided.
Agree to drive for them for one year and it's 100% paid, or pay back agreed amount and leave before one year.
Most companies pay first year drivers $40k+.
Get 2 years experience(majority of carriers insurance is much lower for them then), then make $80k to $100k+
See the country on someome else's dime.
Most modern trucks are pretty luxurious by automotive standards too.
Don't like being away from home?
No problem, local and home daily jobs are there too.
I drove for quite a few years, before it really became a job, and I got tired of dodging idiots on their phones all day.
I've been back at my old type of work nearly 7 years now(lab tech in QC in big machine shop), miss driving somedays, but enjoy seeing my daughter every day alot more.

No money in local deliveries, also if you are a owner operator you make money but if something breaks good bye paycheck for a few months, I wanna say a full dd13/dd15/dd16 full platnium rebuild is right around that $45,000 Canadian range plus roughly a week down if not more if parts are hard to get (which they are now) if you drive for a company with their equipment most starting wages are like 25-30 ish a hour range here which is very low for how expensive canada is.
No money in it unless you ram 3 east Indians in a truck and drive nonstop and they all get out like a clown car... majority of trucks are forgien now, they make money and send it back home which messes up our economy.

Come down to greedy business's hiring cheap labour and pocketing as much cash as possible.

No money in local deliveries, also if you are a owner operator you make money but if something breaks good bye paycheck for a few months, I wanna say a full dd13/dd15/dd16 full platnium rebuild is right around that $45,000 Canadian range plus roughly a week down if not more if parts are hard to get (which they are now) if you drive for a company with their equipment most starting wages are like 25-30 ish a hour range here which is very low for how expensive canada is.
No money in it unless you ram 3 east Indians in a truck and drive nonstop and they all get out like a clown car... majority of trucks are forgien now, they make money and send it back home which messes up our economy.

Come down to greedy business's hiring cheap labour and pocketing as much cash as possible.
Not like that where I live, and throughout the U.S.
Plenty of high paying company jobs.
Good pay local isn't hard to get.
Owner Operator has it's pros and cons, mainly cons anymore, depending on personal logistics.

Owner Operator has it's pros and cons, mainly cons anymore, depending on personal logistics.
Lucky where are you located?

It still boggles my mind how a company with 2100 employees goes under in an environment where there is more demand than supply. That is not just bad management by a few folks, the whole system must have been rotten.

My company gets about three semi deliveries a week. These folks delivered here once, there was no way I could get an eta for a delivery running two weeks late. No one to talk to, no replies to email, no phones answered. Finally when the load arrived, there was no pallet Jack on the truck and about 10% of the load was damaged. Pallets dropped, contents out of its packaging etc. All one had to do was an online reference and all the reviews were pretty bad.

I imagine the local driving jobs pay a lot less than over the road. I have a friend who does local trucking and he makes about what I make which isn't much to brag about. On the other hand, my neighbor's son does home every night trucking and he makes about 90k which pretty damn good for sitting behind a wheel. Over the road would suck. You never have the comforts of home. You get no exercise. You live in a truck and have nowhere to go when you're not driving it. That's why there's lots of jobs, drivers burn out in a short time.

I imagine the local driving jobs pay a lot less than over the road. I have a friend who does local trucking and he makes about what I make which isn't much to brag about. On the other hand, my neighbor's son does home every night trucking and he makes about 90k which pretty damn good for sitting behind a wheel. Over the road would suck. You never have the comforts of home. You get no exercise. You live in a truck and have nowhere to go when you're not driving it. That's why there's lots of jobs, drivers burn out in a short time.
otr has plenty of comfort.
Unless you have a terrible driving record, you can drive for companies that's trucks that as said, are pretty luxurious, fridge, microwave, 2 comfortable beds that fold up, enough room to stand up and move about, heat, ac, cc, wi-fi and whisper quiet inside.
Want exercise? Drive a flatbed, securing and tarping loads is a workout.
And/or a set of dumbells in the truck, there is room to workout.
You get daily time off too, regardless where you are, but again, plan your stops, go for a walk, a mall, walmart, or where ever there is parking.
Otr will have you needing fuel daily(or at least it's smart to get it every day, and you won't go 2 days without).
Every fuel up comes with a free shower.
I never found a major truck stop with an unclean bathroom either, really.
They are bleached after every use, and are tiled rooms with dead bolted doors.
There are alot of bad myths about truck driving, and they simply aren't true.
You plan your day and can deviate the route, just get there on time.
Stop when you need to, plan your time off like anywhere else.
You can work the system to make 6 figures and travel the country in comfort.
It's like anything else, some places are great to work for...some aren't.
There are Alot of schedules too.
If I had no one at home(kid), I'de drive 3 weeks out and take a week off, at home, or plan to get routed near where I want to stay. Park at truck stop, uber to hotel or car rental.
A job picking a trailer up say FL, and taking it to Wa, drop in drop yard, pick next trailer up in same yard, take to Tx, etc
No touch freight and no waiting to load/unload, just drive.
Live minimal, stack money, vacation whenever.
Pros and cons to Everything, but don't knock it til you try it.
I've met drivers from All walks of life, with degrees, past fancy careers, and they just enjoy riding around making money without any stress.
Truck driving stress is really only there when you are in a hurry trying to get home...just like in a car, lol.

Back