Who does your DMV inspection?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
I use to use the Toyota dealer, but they jinksed me so bad with my truck, never go back there.

Thomas Tire, $13 plus change.

Gotta love these guys, all they wanted was the registration, did not look at anything else.

I get a local dealer (motorcycle) to do it. $12 which is the price the state of Va sets I think. I know them and they do stuff like tires and things for me so inspections are usually pretty simple.

In Nebraska we had a vehicle inspection in the 70's. Then for whatever it was dropped. At the time it was a pain in the A$$. And I was glad to see it go. But to be honest The amount of Crap rolling around on the streets now. I wish they'd bring it back.

In Nebraska we had a vehicle inspection in the 70's. Then for whatever it was dropped. At the time it was a pain in the A$$. And I was glad to see it go. But to be honest The amount of Crap rolling around on the streets now. I wish they'd bring it back.

I agree with you there...I saw a car the other day which had no grill or front fender with the headlights zap strapped together...

There is so much junk running around, it's staggering sometimes...it is really scary these things are sharing the road with the rest of us.

We get a vehicle inspected when we buy it and that's it. Not all provinces are the same though.

Not here in BC. The only time a used vehicle gets inspected here is when it's brought in from another province or country, and motorcycles are exempt from this just requiring a visual sighting of the VIN to see if it matches the paperwork.

One exception is when a vehicle so obviously dangerous or modified that a LEO issues a roadside inspection order on it.

I have had a inspected motorcycle twice in my life
1986 when I bought a brand new slabside it had a sticker
and three years ago I had my shop inspect my turbo landspeed bike passed
it expired and I just have not had the motivation to get it redone

In NH the inspection sticker is a little teeny tiny thing they put on a fork leg
and the fine is like $75

So let me get this right. . . You guys don’t care a fug for SAFETY inspections because it’s a “pain in the ass” and a “ rip off by revenue collectors”... BUT, and thats a very big BUT, you don’t like to see unsafe POS vehicles on the road ?
I mean, WTH ? ?

The way we keep the fleet here in NZ “safe” is to have a safety inspection annually for ALL vehicles that were registered from new after 2000. Commercial vehicles (incl passenger transport) are inspected every 6 months.
All car and motorcycles older than 20 years are inspected every 6 months and I personally go over them with a fine tooth comb.
Thankfully the majority of drivers out there are actually interested in knowing what is needed to keep the vehicle in good safe roadworthy condition, but there is a few only concerned with getting the label sticker on the car/bike.
Yes, a lot of us older guys can keep our vehicles safe by doing our own inspections periodically because we come from an era when these mechanical skills were passed down by our fathers, or we did training at an institute or similar, I get that, but the generation coming up have no clue with their noses stuck in a screen 24/7 and it’s a changing environment in that regard. These are the very ones that need a safety inspection, just to keep all the rest of us safe.
Oh, and let’s not forget women that have no mechanical clue either, I’ve found that they are the group of motorists that really really care about their car being safe on the road, you know, carrying their kids around in the car etc... gotta be safe.

Anyway, apart from the cars/bikes being inspected, the drivers are also needing inspection periodically!
I’m talking about having their driving habits and reaction times etc tested.
So many people I see on the roads are totally incompetent and need complete retraining or licence revoked if found to be incompetent.

Remember, it’s your life and your family’s lives at risk every time a driver speeding towards you crosses that centre line for whatever reason.
So yeah... safety inspections are a GOOD THING, but we need to go further and start inspecting the drivers too!

Rant over.

So let me get this right. . . You guys don’t care a fug for SAFETY inspections because it’s a “pain in the ass” and a “ rip off by revenue collectors”... BUT, and thats a very big BUT, you don’t like to see unsafe POS vehicles on the road ?
I mean, WTH ? ?

The way we keep the fleet here in NZ “safe” is to have a safety inspection annually for ALL vehicles that were registered from new after 2000. Commercial vehicles (incl passenger transport) are inspected every 6 months.
All car and motorcycles older than 20 years are inspected every 6 months and I personally go over them with a fine tooth comb.
Thankfully the majority of drivers out there are actually interested in knowing what is needed to keep the vehicle in good safe roadworthy condition, but there is a few only concerned with getting the label sticker on the car/bike.
Yes, a lot of us older guys can keep our vehicles safe by doing our own inspections periodically because we come from an era when these mechanical skills were passed down by our fathers, or we did training at an institute or similar, I get that, but the generation coming up have no clue with their noses stuck in a screen 24/7 and it’s a changing environment in that regard. These are the very ones that need a safety inspection, just to keep all the rest of us safe.
Oh, and let’s not forget women that have no mechanical clue either, I’ve found that they are the group of motorists that really really care about their car being safe on the road, you know, carrying their kids around in the car etc... gotta be safe.

Anyway, apart from the cars/bikes being inspected, the drivers are also needing inspection periodically!
So many people I see on the roads are totally incompetent and need complete retraining or licence revoked if found to be incompetent.

Remember, it’s your life and your family’s lives at risk every time a driver speeding towards you crosses that centre line for whatever reason.
So yeah... safety inspections are a GOOD THING, but we need to go further and start inspecting the drivers too!

Rant over.
I'm not against it, we just only do it only when purchasing a vehicle. My son who is in another province has to do one every two years and each time they find something that needs fixing...he lives by the ocean and the salt air is a killer.

I mean, WTH ? ?

Rant over.

Rant is right, sz the guy who gets paid for inspections.:poke: :laugh:

Back