Which digital Camera ? ... again

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Hey Photo experts.

I have a new part of my business that will be taking a lot of photo's of Cars at dealer lots and will be uploading to the web. I will need to do some shots that require maybe wide angle or manual settings with and or with out flash.

I have an ok Camera ; Fujifilm Finepix F50 it is a point and shoot but has some manual settings...

I have been seeing the commericials for Olympus Pen EL-1.

I like the idea of a kinda 1/2 step to an SLR. Basically a point and shoot that you can change lenses and a few other opt's. It also touts DVD quality Video which I may be eventually using too. It would be great if I didnt need too many pieces of equipment.

But some reviews about the Olympus have been negative some are good... what do you guys think?

Olympus web site :
E-PL1

Independant reviews :

Hands on and Hands Off: Olympus EPL-1 « The Phoblographer

another review :

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't hear the video, but Olympus is a decent camera.

How much do you want to spend and expand?

I always recommend the cheaper DSLR's and recommend spending the cash on good glass.

Canon's Rebel and Nikon's equiv are great entry level cams, and most people will never outgrow them.

Just 2cts
Bubba

Kent the only thing I can tell you is to not short yourself... If you can swing a few extra bucks then the rebel or entry level nikons are great SLR's for what your going to do and you will have so much extra abilities if you need them....

Dogu

Kent the only thing I can tell you is to not short yourself... If you can swing a few extra bucks then the rebel or entry level nikons are great SLR's for what your going to do and you will have so much extra abilities if you need them....

Dogu

+1 I'm shooting on a Nikon D40 with a nikkor 18-200mm VR lens. Love it and don't feel like I'm outgrowing it at all... :thumbsup:

I was also hoping to stay with a smaller unit so I can sometimes take with me on the Busa too.

I have used various Panasonic point and shoots and for the money, you cant really go wrong with them. They offer great image stabilization, some models have fabulous zoom in/out, they use lecia lenses and they fit in your pocket :cool:

Another place to check for unbiased reports on cameras with photos from the camera they review, Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ By far one of the better sources on the web for digital photo stuff :thumbsup:

We love our Nikon D80! :thumbsup:

Shop around because you can get them a LOT cheaper than bestbuy or a few of the others online and pay no sales tax.

They just came out with the D90 so I would check that out... ;)

yeah, the olympus should work for that. they sell it as a kit with a zoom lens, right?? that should be good enough to take pictures of cars just for posting on the internet. i recommend rebels or a used canon 5d to people, but not for taking quick pictures of cars for the web.

edit: oh yeah, forgot to tell you: bhphotovideo.com or craigslist for buying. cameras are one of those things that i'm not afraid to buy used.. they're expensive new, but cheap used. and they don't normally break. i bought a used canon 5d years ago, one of the best buys i've ever made. def got my money out of it.

Last edited:
Back