Which Bike to get for a returning rider?

Toronto

Registered
My past bikes were a CBR 600 F2 when I was 19. Loved it. Then I got my dream bike in 98 a CBR 900 RR I when was 23. I rode that bike to Las Vegas(4000 km) by myself and that is still the one of the best things I've ever done. Although I live in the city and spend most of my time in the city. I would often ride that 900 RR 400-600 km in a day once a week. In 2001 I briefly(about 2 weeks) owned a CBR 929 RR before it was stolen. I opened up a new business and used the insurance money for my biz. Haven't had a bike since then. Haven't read magazines and don't know really know what is going on in the world of two wheels

So now I'm looking to buy a bike. They Busa seems like it would be a good fit for me. I'm a littIe older, 32. If you know the bikes I have ridden and loved what kind of a differenece will I find going from the CBR's to a BUSA. Is it a world of difference? Will a Busa feel the same just a little more comfortable or am I going to feel like I'm riding a truck with a ton of power. I remeber going on rides and leaning hard into corners and turns and feeling that CBR was so stable and sure footed. Please help me make decision.

Thanks in advance

If you dont want a busa, dont ride one. You will be hooked. You seem like the perfect 1st time busa owner. Your older and have some sportbike saddle time. Go for it, you wont be dissapointed. Oh and by the way, you have just introduced yourself to some of the best friends you will ever have......stay a while.
beerchug.gif

The Busa doesn't feel like a truck compared to sport bikes. But it does feel heavier, brake feel isn't as good and the front forks are soft. But unless you drag your knee, the Busa will have more cornering ability than you do. A few mods like raising the rear an inch, respringing the front for your weight, SS lines and aftermarket brake pads will make the Busa basically feel like a sport bike.

The Busa is more stable than sport bikes in corners, its just not as flickable as they are.

If you love power and all around ability get the Busa.
If you love a light, flickable, narrow, and fastest cornering bike then get a 600 or 750.
I don't think a 1000 is for you because honestly I think 1000s should only be for racers or racers in the making and stunters. They're almost as powerful as a Busa and almost as light as a 600/750, which makes them unforgiving if you make a mistake.

You can get an 08 for about 85 bux a month until the end of Jan.
That sounds like an interest only loan.  Be careful with those.  If you don't get it paid off by the end of the term, the intrest rate generally shots way up.

A standard loan will run you $230-$260 a month.

The 'busa is ungodly power. Pagan ungodly.

As soon as you ride it for a few moments, you'll recognize that it is unlike anything you've ever experienced.

I'll echo Charles' observations, above. Well said, old bean.

Scar

It would be a tough decision. The 1000's are nice because they are light, and would be good for city riding. They have PLENTY of power, and handle well.
The Busa is heavier and more stable, but probably not quite as "city friendly". But if you like to do long trips on the weekends, then the Busa is definately the right choice. It is extremely stable at high speeds, and has plenty of room for luggage. Just not quite as flickable in city situations.

You are close to the same boat I was in. I road gixxers from 1986 until 1998. I downed a gixxer 1100 @ 130 mph and walked away from it. Scared the hell outa myself. I didn't ride for 6 years. In 2004 I decided I was in lust with the 2004 LE Busa, so I bought one. It was a little unnerving the first couple of times but I got used to. Made some dumb financial decisions and had to sell it seven months after purchase. Went w/o for 16 months and then bought my 05LE. As long as I can ride, I won't be w/o a Busa.

Don

man !

another gsxr1000 vs. busa thread.

and these are the two bikes i'm torn between, unless my pockets were deeper and i could get a ducati 1098
laugh.gif

I have Duc Superbikes
ThumbsUp.gif
, and YES the Busa is heavyer
winkold.gif
. BUT Truck like, NEVER  
shutup.gif
! It will make you a beliver as the ultimate street bike from the first 10 feet you ride it. And it ONLY GETS BETTER ! Track bike, NA
whistling.gif
, Street bike
sadnews.gif
, well it beats my Old ST4s all over the place. And coming from a REAL DUCATISTA, that's something. Infact, it's my ultimate example of a near perfect street bike for me.  
hello.gif

You folks have been really helpfull thanks, sincerely.

Let me ask you something else. I had my CBR 900 going as fast as it would go a few times the speedo read 270 km. I was also a little younger. Any time I've been on a bike since, I've barely broken 200km. Now I always felt that at the begining of the season I would ride slower cause my brain wasn't used to absorbing stimuli that quick after a 6 or 7 month winter lay off. 200 in the spring alwys felt fast but 200 in the late summer was cruising speed ( a fast cruise
smile.gif
) So here is my question does the love of speed go away? 7 yrs later will I be afraid of the high speeds. I mean isn't that what the Busa is all about. Heart pounding adrenaline rushing MF'ing speed? Writing this actually helped me answer my own question. I can't wait for the snow to melt.

Thanks for the help everyone. And Charles u really helped me remeber what I wanted out of a bike. My knees have never dragged and my peg ends were mint. But I loved going fast and stable is sweet in the corners.

All your bikes where Hondas. I personally think Hondas ride very different then any other sport bike. I always viewed the feel of a Honda as too refined. I prefer that feeling of uncontrollable raw power. That's why I've always stuck with Suzukis and Kawasakis.

Regardless, it sounds as though you have not ridden anything newer then 2001. Any new sport bike especially the 1 liters and greater will out perform anything you have ridden in both power and handling. The busa is no exception.

Go sit on all the bikes find ones that fit ergonomically first, then work from there. If the bike doesn't fit you, nothing else really matters you won't be happy.

Back