where to wire a switch for hids

ham4864

Registered
i want to put a low beam hid on my bike and have been reading about the dei vs the switch.i want to do the switch method but the question is what wire to use for the switch before the ballast.Buy the way i have a 2006 but i still want a switch,thanks all.

I wired mine with 12g copper, just low volt on that side of the ballast. I put my switch on the right inner panel. It lights up when on.

i think and I have always done my light switches on the ground side, if something was to go wrong you loose the low beam, nothing else. Not fun seing sparks or smelling smoke when the switch goes up in flames when a hot lead gets wet.... trust me i learn that long time ago, i also recomend putting the switch on the left inner panel, in case you need to go dark in a hurry at speeds. that wait you don't have to remove the hand from the trottle at all,
Use the black wire to the ballast.
here is the simple version
the red wire goes to the hot side on the bike headlight plug,
the blk wire goes to the swith Off position
then another blk wire goes from the bike headlight plug to the on position on the switch,
done deal and no worries about getting wet.

i think and I have always done my light switches on the ground side, if something was to go wrong you loose the low beam, nothing else. Not fun seing sparks or smelling smoke when the switch goes up in flames when a hot lead gets wet.... trust me i learn that long time ago, i also recomend putting the switch on the left inner panel, in case you need to go dark in a hurry at speeds. that wait you don't have to remove the hand from the trottle at all,
Use the black wire to the ballast.
here is the simple version
the red wire goes to the hot side on the bike headlight plug,
the blk wire goes to the swith Off position
then another blk wire goes from the bike headlight plug to the on position on the switch,
done deal and no worries about getting wet.

i did the same and mounted the switch on the black panel inside the vent hole on the tail

no pics but I can take a few tomorrow from my spare hid kit and maybe if I take the 07 apart for you to see..

Use the ground side. I used a double pole switch, when the low beam light is off, a small red LED lights on the dash letting me know the light is off.

Last edited:
UncleSteve that is a great idea. can you please :please:post a picture and how it was wired. I bught a 3 prong switch but cant figure this out. :banghead:

Use the ground side. I used a double pole switch, when the low beam light is off, a small red LED lights on the dash letting me know the light is off.

Plus 1.. same thing I did.. Headlight off indicator is on telling me so.. :thumbsup:

be carfull were you mount a led indicator, specially if you do late night runs that might need to turn the light off at speeds... can be very distracting speciaaly if is a blinking led...:whistle::whistle:

Back