Where to read/learn about shock and chassis setup?

SS4Luck

Registered
I have a Penske rear shock on order, and am at the point I know I need to know what I’m doing when it comes to suspension tuning, and I have no idea. My bike is strictly rolling straight line stuff, and I want to make sure I can count in it to go straight and level instead of finding new ways to try to kill me with unpredictable wheelies.

I have a 62” wheel base, all the normal expected mods and a good road to test on. Is there a cheat sheet for “if your bike does X then compression is too X”?

usually aftermarket high end shocks come with instructions on how to fine tune. ive used air shocks for atv drag racing and for me its a lot of trial and error. you also need to be familiar with the abilities of the specific shock you have. you need to understand that some drag shock sacrifices capabilities in order to be lighter. keep track of the adjustments you make. with roll racing you don’t need as much adjustments since their is no hard launch.

I have a Penske rear shock on order, and am at the point I know I need to know what I’m doing when it comes to suspension tuning, and I have no idea. My bike is strictly rolling straight line stuff, and I want to make sure I can count in it to go straight and level instead of finding new ways to try to kill me with unpredictable wheelies.

I have a 62” wheel base, all the normal expected mods and a good road to test on. Is there a cheat sheet for “if your bike does X then compression is too X”?
Thread 'JINKSTER ATTACKS "SUSPENSION"' JINKSTER ATTACKS "SUSPENSION" | Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself

usually aftermarket high end shocks come with instructions on how to fine tune. ive used air shocks for atv drag racing and for me its a lot of trial and error. you also need to be familiar with the abilities of the specific shock you have. you need to understand that some drag shock sacrifices capabilities in order to be lighter. keep track of the adjustments you make. with roll racing you don’t need as much adjustments since their is no hard launch.

I ordered it through a shop that specifically builds roll bikes and told them to order it/set it up with their tricks. From the car world I know it’s easier to setup a suspension to hook from a roll than a stop but 1st gear hits are wild even moving.

What sort of drag racing with quads did you do? I have a Yamaha Raptor that I used to play around with in 300’ stuff. Turbo’d 918 that definitely deserved a better jockey but man what a fun ride lol. It ended up strutted but I remember the headache fighting shaws was at first.

Reactions: pcs
i ran a suzuki lt500r now a suzuki ltr450. ive used marvins and fox floats, foxs tend to run longer between rebuilds. we run no prep, no jockey, no trailer queen sand drags. the no trailer queen races eliminate a lot of the fake “dune” atv real quick that can run for more than a few minutes without over heating or the people that want to run a “water bottle” for a fuel tank.

This is why mine is at EJR Performance right now. His bikes are setup incredibly and I wanted something close to that. Can't wait to see the difference in the ride. He knows what he's doing. I can't learn anything new right now.

I w
This is why mine is at EJR Performance right now. His bikes are setup incredibly and I wanted something close to that. Can't wait to see the difference in the ride. He knows what he's doing. I can't learn anything new right now.
I ordered mine through Evan lol. I wish I wasnt literally as far away as possible or I would have dropped my stock bike off at his house with a blank check

"Where to read/learn about shock and chassis setup?"

Volume 3.

I thought I would mention it in this thread although the book, like Volume 1 which I have, likely stresses the proper road racing setup with only brief explanations on the tradeoffs of longer swingarms and such. Though it would likely be the best primer available on the forces involved.

Yes I’m so happy he’s right there. It’s like a 30 min drive from me. Waiting on new tires to come in now. Going with some different gearing too.
What gearing you thinking of I have a few sprockets I’m going to be testing next week just to see too

Here is a good video on shocks and forks.

Also watch how Dave Moss pushes down on bikes to feel the suspension. I do that a lot to get a feel just like he does. For me I have had much better luck doing suspension myself and learning from Moss and others. I do pay to have the stuff rebuilt but I handle setting it up on my bike. It took several years to get really good at it but like tuning an engine; I believe anyone can learn how to do it.

Back