Rear shock setup

r1d3on3

Registered
What is the best way to set up a factory shock for drag racing? I'm 145 lb rider on stock wheelbase trying to get the most out of my setup. I've never made any adjustments to the rear shock and was hoping someone can give a quick how to on this as well as suggestions for a starting place on the settings. I have just been strapping the front and dropping the back low as possible with Brocks lowering links. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

At your weight and with a stock length swingarm, the stock shock will work just fine. Crank up the rebound damping to full hard, and set the compression damping at the mid adjustment point for starters. You may wish to take just a bit of compression pre-load off the spring. Thats a reasonable starting point.

Thanks guys, I set rebound full hard last night but wasn't sure where to place the compression damping at. If the weather cooperates I'll be trying it out this Saturday. How much sag do you think I need Draco?

Don't worry about sag, work on the total amount of travel the shock uses.

You want to use almost all of the shocks travel, but you don't want to bottom out. Put a zip tie on the stainless shock shaft and take a pass to see how much travel is occuring. If the shock has less than 75% travel, take some static preload out. If its bottoming out, put some back in. Get the shock to use about 90% of its travel, and then fine tune with the compression damping. Bottoming, even so slightly is the surest way to blow the tire away. Your on the light side, so you may find you have to back out the preload a bit.

Back