when should I change the plugs

busa boyz

Donating Member
Registered
I have 3k miles .I have did alot dyno pulls,changing maps,changing exhaust,nos shots,1/4 mile runs.The bike runs great but dread changing the plugs because that air box is bit** to get back on I also have the air ducts taped to add to the job so my question is if the bike runs great and a/f ratio on the dyno sheet looks good should I still look or change them?

whenever with whatever.  These bikes are bulletproof.  Few days ago I found about this lady who rode an R1 to 50,000 miles including track days. Never had it serviced-factory oil/filter/plugs.  It ran fine to the day her boyfriend found out and changed oil/filter/plugs.

UK mag i forgot the link, tried to kill a Kawi motor to prove jap motors are not indestructable.  After running it with no coolant and no oil for 30 mins, every thing else on the bike melted off but the motor kept going
blush.gif

But yeah, the manual is your first definitive guide on service intervals.

<!--EDIT|busafish
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138546287 -->

i changed mine at 12k... they didn't look "bad" but they didn't look good either.. I couldnt' tell much diff after the change.. but it only took about 2 hours to change them all.. so it's not like it's an all day job.

On my previous busa I changed them at 15,000 miles. The bike didn't need them to be changed, the old plugs looked fine, and it was done more on general principle. Since I bought the new plugs I just followed through on the plug change but the bike ran no different. I probably wont be changing them so soon on this '06.

When i did my valve inspection at 16K -- put in new plugs --- felt abit snappier for a short while.
I'll swap um out at 32K if and when i get there.

Did mine at 7500 looked perfect - but since I was in there what the heck. I think you could wait to 15k without a problem.

With the engine off and cooled down.
biggrin.gif

thumbs-up.gif

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1325"|1138556797 -->

The manual calls for it every 7500miles. You can get them regapped and cleaned or buy new ones. Sometimes it costs just as much to buy new ones as to regap, so just get new ones then.

I went 15,000 miles before changing them out. They were fine, coulda went for more miles, but since they're pulled I just put new ones in.

Wait till you do the valves. If the A/F is dead on, plugs last forever. And watch the steel into aluminum threads (shiver).

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1138655950 -->

The manual calls for it every 7500miles.  You can get them regapped and cleaned or buy new ones.  Sometimes it costs just as much to buy new ones as to regap, so just get new ones then.

I went 15,000 miles before changing them out.  They were fine, coulda went for more miles, but since they're pulled I just put new ones in.
That's the first time I've ever heard of paying to have plugs re-gapped.

But I do agree if you're in there, go ahead and replace 'em.

.. regapping plugs... how can that cost anything? I guess the labor for taking them out or something..

Seems like the correct plugs are close to $5 a piece... so $30.. fugetabouit and just do it one rainy afternoon or something.

.. regapping plugs...  how can that cost anything?   I guess the labor for taking them out or something..

Seems like the correct plugs are close to $5 a piece...  so $30.. fugetabouit and just do it one rainy afternoon or something.
The dealership will charge you for anything!!

But you could do them yourself, I just would rather replace them when my valves get checked.

ok I may not understand..... are plugs for the Busa different from auto plugs?? if they are they same then gapping them sould only take a few seconds and a $1 gapper.

Back