Whelp?..i ain't making it too daytona but...

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
I am headed out to the garage to yank the rear wheel off of O-Ren and then heading down to "Cycle Gear" in West Palm Beach to take advantage of their Front & Rear Dunlop Qualifier sale..$200 for the set..i'll let'em mount and balance the new rear but i'm saving the new front tire for my next new rear as it appears my quali front tire has plenty of tread left...then next time around that i need a new rear?...i'll already have a new front on hand which equals a new set next go round.

at least i'll of gotten something constructive done with this rainy biketoberfest weekend.
ThumbsUp.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Ok rub it in
beerchug.gif
Hey off the sub but when you adj the valves did they really need it? IYO
to answer your valve adjust question?...no....i didn't absolutely hafta "adjust" any of'em...however...i did have one exhaust valve that was very close to "borderline"..close enough that (along with wanting to demo the camshaft removal) it condoned yanking my exhaust cam and swapping that one shim out...i'll also add that...O-Ren had 12K on the odo at the time of check/adjust and I've run her at high speeds (mid to upper triples) quite often..."for sustained periods of time".

I might also add that i botched the re-assy of this job not once but twice..

1st Botch: by not using a mirror (between the frame spar and intake cam sprocket) and i paralexed the intake cam sprocket off by one tooth..and then?...

2nd Botch: When i corrected the intake cam sprocket timing i neglected to recheck the exhaust cam timing "*properly".

But the 3rd time was a charm and the good news is....I now know exactly how a busa acts and can tell you if it's a intake or exhaust cam that's a tooth off just by listening to it run!
laugh.gif

If It's A Tooth Off On The Intake Side: You'll get a "Surge & Stumble Idle"

If it's a Tooth Off On The Exhaust Side: You'll Smell Raw Gas Fumes At Start-Up and shortlt thereafter?...your plugs WILL foul out.

*Properly: Means turning over the crank at least 3 times by hand before taking your final timing reading to allow the CCT (cam chain tensioner) to go through it's "self-adjust mode" and THEN make certain your cam/crank timing marks are still on the money..and use a dang mirror to check the intake timing mark so you don't paralex the intake cam timing mark. (like i did the first time through)

So I definantly made my share of mistakes here but...i sure did learn a helluva lot...and?..saved myself about $400...also?..the next time O-Ren needs her valves checked/adjusted?...it'll be a breeze...cause i got lots of trial & error practice the first time around!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

get those Dunlops on and come up! It will be raining there and sunny! & nice up here this PM. You are the man and should make a HOW to Busa CD by the JINX man!!! I have never heard of any that actually needed the adj even with over 25K on them. Synth oil and changed too often in most cases keep em like new. Not worn out but crashed out. Have a nice day!

XM9.jpg

get those Dunlops on and come up! It will be raining there and sunny! & nice up here this PM. You are the man and should make a HOW to Busa CD by the JINX man!!! I have never heard of any that actually needed the adj even with over 25K on them. Synth oil and changed too often in most cases keep em like new. Not worn out but crashed out. Have a nice day!
thanks fer the invite and encouraging words 8 but...i'll probably be tied up most of the day with this...i just got O-Rens rear wheel off the bike and cleaned up and loaded up in my Titan..now i gotta shower up and roll 50 miles south...taking my oldest daughter with me for rid'in company...100 miles roud trip to cycle gear.

Besides...I'm thinking that since the weathers starting to break into a nice cool riding season here we oughta get a few rides going over the next few months...and get us south central busa riders together...maybe meet & greet at a nice restaurant or make a weekend of the central florida alps..i've done quite a few Fri/Sat nights at the Days Inn off 92/27...just to spend the weekend running the backroads in that area..always have a blast..run around apopka, Laws Rd, Sherrifs Boys Ranch Rd...Green Pond Rd..561 area...and i'll be ready...fresh rubbers and all...on a cool crystal clear weekend!
laugh.gif

Back