Wheelie effects on engine oil

loboboy

Donating Member
Registered
This is for the Gear heads who might know. Are there any ill effects on the engine oil pick up while doing stand up wheelies at high speeds and high RPM's? I was reading another post and I always wondered this because I have seen several other people that I know have spun rod and crank bearings and they are always riding stand up high speed wheelies. Does anyone know if this could be the cause.

I personally think it is a contributing factor in the spun bearings, the manuf did not engineer the engines to be at that angle for extended periods of time at high RPM's which could cause oil starvation, while light enough not to turn on the oil light it could have ill effects over time.

What do you all think?

Yes riding a wheelie of any sort can negatively effect the engine's ability to pump oil simply because the pick-up is in the bottom of the pan. When the bike is more upright (aka wheelie time) the pan is not level (and the oil goes to the rear of the pan) and therefore the pick-up might suck air instead of oil. Obviously this can cause problems in an engine.

What is the solution? Keep your wheelies to a minimum, raise your oil level to reduce the chance of the pick-up sucking air (which lowers HP due to windage or crank slap), or you can buy a special oil pickup that pivots/rotates/swings under acceleration (and wheelies) to the rear of the pan where there likely is more oil. I cannot rememebr who makes it but I have seen it for sale on the web for use with drag racers (sudden acceleration will cause the same problem as wheelies just not as bad).

Wheelies don't seem to have an effect on any late model suzuki GSXR if the oil level is up to the full mark. I think most guys that have oil cavitating problems are created by low oil levels while doing wheelies. The same problem can occur with hard accelleration. If there was a problem, half the GSXR-1000's would be in the shop for fried engines. I do long wheelies on both my Gixxer and Busa and have never had a problem with either nor has any of my friends that do the same.

When you allow the oil pump to suck air, it's called cavitation (The rapid formation and collapse of vapor pockets in a flowing liquid in regions of very low pressure) When this happens it is more damaging to the pump than the bearings. I don't know about all bikes but all the Late Model GSXR's seem to have no problem relating to oil cavitation and wheelies? I personally run my oil level slightly over full and check it before each ride.

i know of half a dozen gsxr 1000s that have had bearing failures and all the riders i have talked to do wheelies both standing up and sittting down for long distances im guessing so far you have been very lucky.
Rich

I'm suspicious that the ones who had bearing problems most likely let the oil level get below the add mark if indeed the wheelie position was the problem? Doing wheelies with a low oil level certainly won't do your bike any good!

Why are doing wheelies with your bike anyway?
is this really a question?

here are possible answers:
because it can
because it's fun
because it's dangerous
because some rider like to show off
because my mom told me I could

Your question could have been: Why buy a busa?

cheers and like RSD would end it: have a wheelie free 1

beerchug.gif

Watch the engine rpms also. I hear the tach limiter kick in all the time while watching guys wheelie. They haven't found the balance point yet, so they don't shift.

tufbusa, i have a 02busa and can do pretty long wheelies, and keep getting oil in my air box, because of the tube from the back of the motor. is there any solution to this?
sad.gif

The tube from the back of your engine is a breather tube which vents your crank case. I would suspect you are getting excessive blow by. I would check the compression on all four cylinders and I'd almost bet you have a broken ring or just worn out rings. I had the same problem on an airplane once and it turned out to be ring problems. A simple compression test will tell the story. Pull it up on the compression stroke and see how long it takes to bleed off?

tufbusa, wont ridding long wheelies cause the oil run to the back of the motor and run through that tube. i put alittle extra oil in (not alot) to compensate for the oil beeing slammed to the back of the motor.i dont want to spin a bearing and im tired of having to clean out my air box, but wheelies are sooo fun. any help would be appre. thanks todd???
rock.gif

Todd, I'm on my third busa and I have not had any trouble with the crankcase vent tube. My guess is, you are getting excessive crankcase pressure and probably getting some oil in the breather even without doing wheelies. If you are standing your bike up tall and the oil shifts to the back, it may very well blow more oil out the tube. I think you have some internal problems with your engine. I'd definately do a compression test. And even if the rings do hold compression the oil rings may still be a problem? If you don't have the means to do it yourself, take your scooter to a shop who can do a compression test. By the way, I run my oil slightly over full as well but have never had a problem!

Back