Oil level question

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Ok,
I read the manual where it says to have someone hold the bike level and check the oil in the sight glass. No prob, got it. Here is the situation and then the question:

With the kick stand mod done, the bike leans a little more that the engineers intended for it to. Having said that, there is no oil in the sight glass when it is on the stand. When you start the bike to warm it up there is no oil on that side of the engine like there is when it is running. I haven't had the occasion to disassemble my engine (hope I don't have to for a while) so I don't know what is behind there.

Is there any prob with letting the bike run on the stand like that?

Don

Block of wood to level it out?
rock.gif

No problem, unless she's out of oil.
laugh.gif
It's a delicate balancing act, but after she's warmed up, turn her off and give it a minute for the oil to drain back down before checking. Someone here suggested using an inspection mirror (or even one taped to a stick) when you're on the bike. Clever people here on the .Org.
cool.gif

becarefull. i recomond some stands. they make life easy.

becarefull.  i recomond some stands. they make life easy.
I have a rear stand. I am not worried about checking the oil level. I have that covered. I have the wife come out and hold the bike straight. I am talking about the affect on the engine of running (warm-up) at a greater lean angle, due to the kickstand mod, than the engineers designed.

Don

I have a rear stand.  I am not worried about checking the oil level.  I have that covered.  I have the wife come out and hold the bike straight.  I am talking about the affect on the engine of running (warm-up) at a greater lean angle, due to the kickstand mod, than the engineers designed.

Don
You won't have any problems with your oil level and the kickstand mod
wink.gif

If the bike tips too much...tip over switch shuts the motor off. During hard corning
the bike leans much more than when it is on the kickstand
biggrin.gif

I have a rear stand.  I am not worried about checking the oil level.  I have that covered.  I have the wife come out and hold the bike straight.  I am talking about the affect on the engine of running (warm-up) at a greater lean angle, due to the kickstand mod, than the engineers designed.

Don
wink.gif

If the bike tips too much...tip over switch shuts the motor off. During hard corning
biggrin.gif
+1

Don
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Thank-you
beerchug.gif

Just noticed it and thought I would tap someone's knowledge.

Don

No problem, unless she's out of oil.
laugh.gif
It's a delicate balancing act, but after she's warmed up, turn her off and give it a minute for the oil to drain back down before checking. Someone here suggested using an inspection mirror (or even one taped to a stick) when you're on the bike. Clever people here on the .Org.  
cool.gif
Or get a Baxley Sport chock...it has a million and one uses...that being one of them. And worth every penny
wink.gif

Watch leaving your bike running with the kickstand down. You should have no oiling problem, but the vibration may cause the bike to roll foreward if you are not on totally level surface. Just my $.02

Back