Checking the oil for the very first time

texomawaves

Registered
I know, boring topic, BUT... I have had my brand new 2014 Busa for 3 days now and need some basic 101 advice as I haven't finished reading the manual.

So... The oil sight glass is on the right side of the engine. I can't actually see any oil, but I read the manual where I need to run the engine 3 minutes, let it set 3 minutes to check the oil. And checking the oil requires me to stand the bike upright and look into the sight glass? hmmm, this is a little dicey as my bike could tip over on top of me while lookin at the sight glass, yikes! I could not see any oil in the sight glass and I haven't done the 3 min run, 3 min wait thing. I will try that tonight. I figure I'd at least see oil, but maybe it's so clean I can't see it.

So... Then I decided to pull the dipstick and see if I can determine oil level there. That cap is on so tight where I couldn't turn it without using force. To open, I try to turn it counter-clockwise, correct?? I don't wanna do anything stupid like put a crescent wrench on it and break the damn off like an idiot :) I'm just afraid to use any excessive force beyond my thumb and index finger. It is probably that the bike is so new and the paint is somewhat causing the dipstick to "stick"

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! Chris

IMG_4492.jpg

IMG_4487.jpg

you won't find a dipstick under that cap bro. welcome to the org and congrats on your busa. she's a beaut. how I check oil level is sit on it, stand it up, have your ol lady (kids coworker whatever) squat down n look. if there is an easier method hope I hear about it. I tried using a mechanics mirror, block of wood under kickstand and holding bike upright while I squat down <-- scary

A chain cemented into the floor to strap her down would work, but this scares me. I've put it on stands before to check it, but its not 100% accurate

-D

The right procedure is 3 minutes after the engine has died and the room where you check must be at a temperature of 73.5F exactly.

Just jokin.

It's not that difficult, have the side stand down, pull the bike level and as long as you see oil coming into the sight glass you are OK. You don't want to fill the glass completely and IMHO the 3 minutes are BS, I normally check mine cold. Busas don't (my experience) use oil so you should be fine normally between changes. Use a bit more muscle power on the oil cap. :laugh:

Even though the correct proceedure is 3 minutes after starting, if you stand the bike upright for a moment, and you don't see anything in the glass, PUT SOME OIL IN IT BEFORE STARTING AGAIN. There's no dipstick under the cap, and it unscrews counter clockwise. It may be on there tight from the factory.

A set of stands, comes in really handy should you be interesting in doing ANY wrenching in your bike. It's not that hard to do, it's lots fun and satisfying to wrench on your own bike, and doing some of your own basic maintence is much cheapter than paying a dealer - not to mention what you learn!

I just get on my kness and pull her up level and check it. If you have stands you can put it on the stands and do the same. PS these bikes don't use or leak unless you damage something.

Honestly, if you are worried about knocking it over, secure a strap to a wall or vehicle next to it, and measure it so once the strap is tight, the bike is upright.

Just another thought.

-D

Yes I know it is from harbor freight but this stand holds it up right with out any problems. Then I put my rear stand under it.

The stealership I went to over filled mine by filling to the full line on the side stand.
Had to drain some immediately.
They also broke a tab on my lower faring. Too bad the went under before I could hold them accountable.

Some here just lift it from the rear stand but I am too afraid of dropping my bike again. I am already member 12 in the I dropped my bike club.

ForumRunner_20141114_150757.png

ForumRunner_20141114_150757.png

i just made a small T with 2x4s and attached a mirror,set T next to bike,get on,move mirror where you can see sight glass,good to go..

I also did a write up on how to make it so you don't have to worry about dropping your bike, will try to find it and post it.

getting oil fill cap off just put rag over it and pair of pliers,what I do

Welcome to the oRg, you should be able to do what Robert does, which is the same way I do, get on my knees and pull the bike to me where she is level and inspect the sight glass. Have someone help you for the first few times until you get used to her. I also suggest getting some stands, you will need them do do maintenance on her. Also makes it easier to clean, like the chain every 500 miles or so.

I couldn't wait to get home. I did the 3min run / 3 min rest, got on my knees and practiced tilting the bike up. I actually leaned her over an extra 1 or 2 degrees toward me, and saw the oil level appear in the sight glass. yes my head down low and holding the bike. I can do it no problem. I'm already gettin' intimate with this sweet girl. bye for now, she's calling me back to the garage :)

I use the ole retractable mirror on a stick thingy from Harbor Freight. Warm it up sit on it, retract the mirror and hold it down by the window. Works great, otherwise use the rear stand.

This isn't that difficult. You are putting to much thought/fear into this. Just stand the bike up and look at the window.

Back