Wheel Swap

Busa173

Registered
Hello all, Im a new Busa rider and plan on polishing my wheels this winter and heard that you could switch out your factory wheels for a set of much lighter gsxr wheels. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, as far as polishing the wheels goes what is the best way? I heard you could use aircraft stripper (a million coats) and just wipe it off, or you could just use the ole' dremel ? Any insight would be great.
Thanks

Not a clue but
welcome.gif

Yes you can put gsxr wheels on your busa but you will have to buy a spacer kit from board member Zook on suzukihayabusa.org for them to fit. This is the exact setup I run on my busa.

Welcome and where are you at in KC? We have a group of folks in the area that just had a get together last weekend and planning another soon. Would love to include you.

Heres some pictures of the purple busa I posted awhile back, Glen is a polishing fool. He's done every gsxr frame he's had,about 6 total. Starting with 320 grit working his way back to 1500,sometimes 2000. The pics don't show very well,but in person,so far they look like chrome wheels w/black spokes & hub. He said in the evenings while watching TV,he just started sanding. After about 12 hours,he completed the rear. His wife even helped on the passenger pegs. Besides your finger tips ,alot of sanding, and time,it's a great result. Time well spent if your snowed in and can't ride.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

glensbusa_012__Small_.jpg

Wow, that does look good. I was told not to use sandpaper but obviously my souce wasnt very well informed himself. Ive got access to as much body work material as I want, my Dad paints cars for a living, so I guess Ill just start there. Thanks.

I live in Mission, KS. My roommate just bought a zx-14 and we get all our stuff @ cafe racer, those guys are pretty cool. Please let me know when you guys are planning on riding, Im sure me and my roommate both will be interested in going.

Wow, that does look good. I was told not to use sandpaper but obviously my souce wasnt very well informed himself. Ive got access to as much body work material as I want, my Dad paints cars for a living, so I guess Ill just start there. Thanks.
With those kind of resoures,look at a die grinder with scotch brite pads,that will save a bunch of time before going to the 1000-2000 grit range. find some scrap cast aluminum and play a little before you start your wheels so you know what to expect. This is a pic of Glens Gsxr 1000, the swingarm is the only thing thats really chrome.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

020607busa_054__Small_.jpg

As mentioned the correct spacers will be needed. And the caliper bracket will need some machineing (remove about .125)where it meets the spacer.
The late model wheels will need the 1 k rotors (front)

IM000160_edited.jpg

Well worth it imo. lighter wheel/rotors/tire assembly will accellerate turn and stop more quickly.

Well worth it imo. lighter wheel/rotors/tire assembly will accellerate turn and stop more quickly.

lighter wheels are less rotating mass which allow you to in theory turn quicker.

in reality the odds of you feeling any difference is not realistic except in your mind.

If you're a hardcore racer and you feel this is essential to shaving time...then go for it.

01-04 wheels and rotors (rotors are same as busa basically)...front should bolt up no issue but backs have different spacers.

05+ will be a different story.

If you want to actually shave weight....go to a newer setup with the lighter wheel and smaller rotor...but then in theory the smaller rotor should stay hotter longer and allow brake fade quicker. Not bad on a lighter gixxer but maybe not a good idea on a heavy busa.

Before I went through this hassle, I would focus on my braking system and improve my choice in tires. 10mm raise to the rear and sliding the rear axle forward will make the bike feel more responsive than lighter wheels ever will.

If you want the bike to really feel "twitchy"....drop the front tire from a 70 series to a 60 series:please:

My gixxer has a 60 on the front and it took some getting used to.

I have a set of busa, 03 1k and 07 1k wheels on hand if anyone wants weights? Sorry...no cush drives.

Back