What type of aluminum calipers/pistons are made of?

IG.

Registered
Can't find it online. :dunno:

I am particularly interested in strength/hardness numbers.

No, but I have a product/tool idea. The reason I was asking is to make sure I use the right material to minimize/avoid scratching of the parts.

I would think that would be difficult information to get. Further, not all calipers are the same, some aren't even aluminum. So 2 piece Aluminum might be one hardness, monoblocks another. Not sure where you are going with it but you might get some old calipers and see how easy they are to scratch. If that is what you want to know, then the paint would be a factor too.

Good point about scratching, Arch! Thanks! Not too concerned about paint as I am more focused on the inside where the pistons are.

Thanks, jellyrug! Very familiar with 7075-T6 Aluminum. That's pretty hard for aluminum at 150 Brinell. Makes sense to use hardest aluminum for braking application.

Thanks, jellyrug! Very familiar with 7075-T6 Aluminum. That's pretty hard for aluminum at 150 Brinell. Makes sense to use hardest aluminum for braking application.

With losses of close to $3.2 Billion, it looks like your old supplier, Rusal, is dying fast. True, but joking of course. :laugh:

I am laughing... with you. I'd like to stay as far away from that part of the planet as possible, and being on the other side of the planet is the best. Nothing good is going to come out of Russia, and you guys ain't seen nothing yet. Czar never cared about anything except promoting the "greatness" of Russia - at any expense.

Back