Compress rear caliper piston ??

Aceshigh

Registered
Guys, Probably been discussed 100's of times, but I did 6 searches and rear 20 threads, and I couldn't find the answer to my question. So......

2005 Busa.
I got the rear caliper off, but I can't get the pistons to push back in.
Is there a trick to this, or is my caliper seized up ??

go to your local auto parts store and loan a caliper compression tool. if not available, use C-clamps

BrakeTool_01.jpg
caliperTool.jpg

Probably way obvious, but you wont (easily) compress it with the top on the reservoir... From there, anything that'll give you a little leverage should get things moving...

Open the bleeder, it should compress easily then. You will also lose very little brake fluid. If you remove the master cylinder cap, a small amount of fluid may overflow when you compress the cylinder.

Leave the old pads in place and insert a large flat blade screwdriver between the two pads and twist.

you've got to give some displacement for the fluid to go somewhere. Either crack the bleed or take the resevoir cap off. Either way watch for fluid overflow.

^ What they said .
Just be careful no to allow any brake fluid to get on any painted surfaces . If it does wipe it up immediately .

Leave the old pads in place and insert a large flat blade screwdriver between the two pads and twist.

This worked. I already had the MC open.

I'm a f''n retard. I've done brakes probably 20x and for some strange reason I thought the
INNER solid cup ring was the piston and it wasn't budging. Doh!!!!

I'm good now, and I'm going to go lick a window.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm not good.

Quick question. Does the rear caliper have 2 pistons ??
One on the inside of the rotor, and one on the outside ???
I can't really tell because my inner one isn't budging, and I can't see a seal around it.

I can't seem to fit the pads in WITH the rotor.
The pads I bought are the Sintered pads off that guy on Ebay I found in another thread.
I've got the outer piston all the way in, MC open, and I got the pads in no problem, but no room for the rotor. :banghead:

Someone posted a rear caliper diagram in a thread I found before, but now I can't find the damn thing. :banghead:

Last edited:
This worked. I already had the MC open.

I'm a f''n retard. I've done brakes probably 20x and for some strange reason I thought the
INNER solid cup ring was the piston and it wasn't budging. Doh!!!!

I'm good now, and I'm going to go lick a window.

Enjoy, I recommend the purple windex, my fav:whistle:

Back