What Should I Do ?

I have Beranger 6 piston front brake calipers and a Beringer 2 piston rear. I want to make the bike as light as I can. The calipers have stainless pistons. They weigh about 26.71 each so x 14=379.4 grams or about 13.355 oz. Titanium piston weight about 14.62 grams each so x 14 =204.68 grams or about 7.34 oz. I would save 6.015 oz at a cost of $ 1344.00 a lot cash ! I am looking into Phenolic pistons, I do not know the cost or the weight savings. I could go with aluminum pistons too again cost weight? I would have to have some make them for me, cost? Anyone have any info I could use? This bike will have many 1 off parts! I will post most all of what I do to the bike. I will list all the people and companies that help me.

i

p

On face value seems insane. But I know a lot of people here spend tons of money on weight savings. How does it compare to other things on a weight vs $$$. Also lots of people run one front rotor and say bike stops just as good.

Know lots of comments on weight but I believe you said weight was 150. So I’m sure your smaller than 99% of the people here.

I'm all for lightening up the Busa and I've spent quite a bit of money to achieve a sub 500lb street legal missile. However with that being said I think $1400 for 6 oz of weight reduction is absolutely STOOPID!!!

You will never.... I repeat NEVER be able to feel or determine a 60z weight reduction on your bike. That's like taking a piss before you get on your bike, not riding with your cell phone, or just don't top your bike off next time you get gas.

I'm all for lightening up the Busa and I've spent quite a bit of money to achieve a sub 500lb street legal missile. However with that being said I think $1400 for 6 oz of weight reduction is absolutely STOOPID!!!

You will never.... I repeat NEVER be able to feel or determine a 60z weight reduction on your bike. That's like taking a piss before you get on your bike, not riding with your cell phone, or just don't top your bike off next time you get gas.
Hi all. Thank all of you for all the input. I am going to Jenny Craig lol! I do need to lose a few LBS to get to all in weight op 600 LBS total. I want to about 1 LBS per HP or less. This is my last build and want it to my best ever!

On previous posts , pretty sure Mike has stated that this bike is going to be possibly his very last full on project , and his intentions is to build the ultimate Turbo Busa to run in at least a couple of very serious competitive racing formulas . His stated part list is to be no expense spared , with top line lightweight components sourced , and where possible I guess , those parts also scrutinized for extra weight shedding . This particular bike would seem an exercise in what can be done to extremes with chassis weight reduction . The motor will also be done with the same no expense spared , and is to be built by Frank at Powerhouse , so I'm pretty sure a lot of us are looking forward to that monster motor build . The entire package , of weight reduction build / all power build combination , taken to the very limit of what's possible would seem the goal here , using every possible means to achieve that end result .
Some people want something and just get it done , the logic and rational are sometimes hard for others to fathom , so be it , just another example of the way of the world .
I recall Mike mentioning he was a veteran of Nam , helicopter ( slick ? ) door gunner I believe , so has lived and survived on the extreme edge , is no stranger to extremes , and it would seem , no fear when it comes to him being a pilot of this land based missile build !! Tuff enuff sir !!
I for one are very happy such enthusiastic Busa modifiers / builders are out there , doing it .
One last thing though , yes , a full thorough internal clear out before you ride this creation I'd say is highly recommended bro !!!
Cheers

Much better way to spend $1k+ IMO....:beerchug:

You start replacing hard parts like Subframes, airboxes, and kickstands now your talking POUNDS not ounces off your bike :race:

Would aluminum really work????? saftey issues??
cause I could make caliper pistons out of aluminum
....I think,,,,,,no I am pretty sure......
Brembo use aluminum pistons , 7075 T6 hard anodized ?? I don't know which aluminum series , but I know the finish is hard anodized . The calipers on my L2 , the black & also nickle GP4-RX series run them for sure , so do the P4 billet radial series , also the older axial p4 billet caliper . I am pretty sure the mono-bloc billet race variants run titanium pistons . Anyway pretty safe for street use and my calipers also tested at Hidden Valley Darwin Australia 3 day track sortie . Sound like its a possible option .

Brembo use aluminum pistons , 7075 T6 hard anodized ?? I don't know which aluminum series , but I know the finish is hard anodized . The calipers on my L2 , the black & also nickle GP4-RX series run them for sure , so do the P4 billet radial series , also the older axial p4 billet caliper . I am pretty sure the mono-bloc billet race variants run titanium pistons . Anyway pretty safe for street use and my calipers also tested at Hidden Valley Darwin Australia 3 day track sortie . Sound like its a possible option .
Hi all and to ROADTOAD 1340, 1Busa and 202mphbusa. Wow this is great stuff! To 1Busa I have a D M E 2008 sub frame 7 lbs lighter than stock . No kickstand when I race. On the street I will have an aluminum P S R stand with a lightened mount. To ROADTOAD1340 Thank you I went on over 3000 missions 283 hot, under fire. One time came home with 90 holes in the bird! Not counting yhe holes going out. I was wounded twice, stabed in right hand in hand to hand in 1966. I was short in the back in 1969. that is why my E mail is vn66676869@aol.com. I would gladly go fight N.K. or Iran today.To 202mphbusa I am very interested in what you said if you want call me at 774-328-2265 thank you all Michael Parris Heuberger.

Hi all and to ROADTOAD 1340, 1Busa and 202mphbusa. Wow this is great stuff! To 1Busa I have a D M E 2008 sub frame 7 lbs lighter than stock . No kickstand when I race. On the street I will have an aluminum P S R stand with a lightened mount. To ROADTOAD1340 Thank you I went on over 3000 missions 283 hot, under fire. One time came home with 90 holes in the bird! Not counting yhe holes going out. I was wounded twice, stabed in right hand in hand to hand in 1966. I was short in the back in 1969. that is why my E mail is vn66676869@aol.com. I would gladly go fight N.K. or Iran today.To 202mphbusa I am very interested in what you said if you want call me at 774-328-2265 thank you all Michael Parris Heuberger.
Hey Mike , mate , by the sounds you very definitely have lived a lot on the edge , tasted in life what I can only try to imagine and at best read about . Facing your own mortality multiple times as you have , could only promote a unique perspective and gathered knowledge in regards to ones valued time on this earth . You have rolled the dice many times and beaten chance , sincerely my upmost respect and count me honored to make your acquaintance .
I have a very favorite book titled "chickenhawk" , written by Robert Mason , a personal account of his tour in Vietnam flying UH-1 Huey . I found this book to be excellent . It is my only reference of pilots perspective of those insanely dangerous times .
Got to say , I read in another post Mike that in the 80's you were piloting a Kawasaki GPZ1100 based machine , I think running 7.6 @ 173mph ??... absolutely awesome stuff , that was Pro Bike over here in early to mid '90's . Clearly an adrenaline junkie of the highest caliber , this current build , your last pinnacle machine , a shining example that you are far from finished with this ethos .
Cheers

Last edited:
I did a lot of research on brake calipers for the 14 last winter and determined that Berringer fronts were not going to save any weight although they do look very nice. I almost bought them. The single piston rear was a worthwhile weight loss. There is a company called ISR that makes calipers that are lighter than OEM and the price is close to that of Berringer. ISR was in Sweden, I believe. I don't know how costly they would be to get to the US. I found no US suppliers that had exactly what I needed for the 14...or I probably would have them now.

http://power-barn.com/brands/ISR-Brakes.html

Really like ISR , was considering them for L2 , was talking to Mike at Power Barn , and his price on 6 pistons ISR front calipers was excellent , but I decided on Brembo and bought the front calipers from him instead . Might go ISR next project bike , just for something different maybe .

Was rereading this and I was thinking. Maybe go to a super caliper like a Brembo M50, GP or something like that and then just use one of them? Seems like that might save a lot more than 6 oz? Personally I am against single calipers on the street. From what I hear they are significantly less powerful, fade quicker, and they can snatch the bike to the side if you go aggressive with a handful of front brake (all hear-say, not personal experience). Maybe someone already said that, just a thought.

The OP must be one of us senior citizens on here if he was flying in The Nam and much respect for his service and for still hitting it hard!

Back