what type, and size, after market bulbs fit the busa?

need this info for the toronto bike show this weekend, hav'nt got bike yet but loading up on the toys now. need to know what size bulbs the busa takes for both headlights? (example: my 7/11 took h4's). i'm interested in 60/100 or 60/80 in the same blue coloured lights that bmw's, mercedes,lincon's and the new gmc jimmy's have! please give a couple posts so i know for sure that i'm getting the same answer from everyone. if anyone knows who makes these or who has them on their bike already, please post how much brighter, how much more power they drain(if any) i want bright, but don't want to fry the battery.

p.s i don't want the lights that look diffent colours at diffent angles.

thanks maniac

HB3=9005
H7=H7, The three companys that I know of are Pia superwhites,Solaris,Hyperwhites...I personally have the Hyperwhites because they cost $50 verses the $100 for the Pia/Solaris.They are standard wattage 65&55 but put out the eqivalent in lumans to a 100/90 watt bulb.They are well worth the cash I think not only for there unique look but from a safety stand point.WWW.autobulbdepot.com....Good luck!

h7=h7 and hb3=9005, sorry if i sound stupid but which is which and what one do i ask for when ordering from somewhere? $50 for a set or each? and you say there bright as hell? they are blue?

thanks again maniac

[This message has been edited by maniac marshall (edited 05 January 2000).]

Damn ,The low is a hb3/9005 the high is the h7 I think,lol .The 50 bucks was for both bulbs(hyperwhites) so 25 each the others solaris and the pia`s are 50 each.The color is white with a slight blue tint the only way to describe it is its the same color as stars....really

I am pretty sure you can get these at Advance...at least thats what the parts person told me the other day...and slightly cheaper...

Well I purchased a set of high watt bulbs for my tail lights but would not recommend that you do it :(.There is hardly any difference from the tail light to brake transition and could even cause you to get rearended!

todd, what power are these bulbs that you put in and what's the power on the stock ones? the new ones, do they have any effect on your battery output? how hard was it to take the housing off and add it to the new bulb?

maniac

Here's some info that Don (RoadDog) posted on the Hayabusa Mailing List that I used to order my busa bulbs:

"You may remember a while back I posted that it was impossible to change the
headlights on the busa to the new super/white blue ones. Well thanks to
someone on the .org site I found some that do work.

If any of you want to order then the company name is Overlander and they can
be reached at 800-288-4068 That part numbers are HB9005 and HB 16090. They
are a bit expensive at $24 each but the color and birghtness is so much
better it makes the stock headlamp look BROWN in comparison.

If you decide to do this you must remove the plastic base off the bottom of
the stock bulb the HB16090/h7 and plug it on to the new one to make it fit.
It some with some sort of an adaptor to make it fit in the housing of the
busa projector headlight."

If you haven't joined the Hayabusa Mailing List this would be a good time! Here's the link:

http://www.onelist.com/viewarchive.cgi?listname=Hayabusa

Maniac or should I call you Todd?! [Wing Commander joke]

You'll either have to wait until I get my bulbs and install them (I just ordered them Friday and they haven't arrive) or you can ask Don (RoadDog) for the specifics since he's already installed his. His email is:
Rotts4u@Aol.com

todd, i can wait until you get your bulbs because my dealer has'nt got his blue models in yet. the only good thing about seeing wing commander in the theaters was that i saw the preview for the phantom menace for the first time!

maniac

The blue bulbs are ILLEGAL in my state. (and many others) More tickets I don't need! :)

Ok I got my new bulbs installed this evening and I must say they do look nice! Much whiter than stock. Yellow spectrum light is filtered using a blue filter but the finished product appears white.(light does NOT shine as blue - blue appearing headlights are technically illegal in all US states) Stock H7 low beam is 55w and the new bulb is 80 true watts. Stock high beam is listed as 65 watts in the owner's manual but is actually 60 watts as listed on the bulb itself. New bulb is true 65 watts and rated to be as bright as 100 watts (claimed). Both new bulbs are whiter and appear brighter probably due to higher wattage - especially the low beam. Hopefully these will help to see and be seen.
Installation was pretty easy and went quickly after removal of the gauge pod (two bolts) which provides for very easy access to both bulbs.

ps - these bulbs utilize a Xenon/Haligon gas mix.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 24 January 2000).]

Presently I am researching a retro fit of True HID lighting for the BUSA. I ahve found a source for the control box and the bulbs. The same as the ones on the http://www.bajadesigns.com. for about $270. I am not sure if it is the exact ones but it will do the same thing. I am now getting some bulbs to try to make adapters. When I have a parts list I will let every one know where to buy. I am not going to try to market these just want them for my self and will pass the info on.

EXCLR8

OK guys - this afternoon I noticed the blue coating on these bulbs I bought is falling off. About half is gone from my low beam. Even when it all falls off it should be better than stock since it is higher wattage and xenon/hal mix but I just thought you all should know. I can't tell about the high beam unless I pull that bulb to inspect but the low beam is flaking off and about half-two thirds gone so far.

Which brand bulbs did you get.

I just put in the "Hiperwhite" bulbs from autobulbdepot.com. You're right they are brighter and standout from the crowd. Not good to hear about the blue coming off though.

These were the HyperWhite brand bulbs. Not the cheapest available but not as high as the Piaa brand bulbs. The low beam blue filter has flaked off badly. It's got sporadic blue spots now and pieces of the blue filter coating are laying about at the bottom of the inside light housing. The high beam still appears blue/white and may not be having the same problem. It's closer to stock wattage and probably doesn't get as hot but I couldn't say for sure without pulling it out completely since it's not possible to view that bulb through the projector lens. The low beam bulb is still very bright but the blue filter coating that produces the whiter than stock hue is about gone. Took approx 8-10 hours riding time.
I used some thin gloves when I installed so this shouldn't have anything to do with me touching the bulb and leaving any oil to create hot spots.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 09 February 2000).]

Back