$25 Sylvania SilverStar bulbs... short-lived

eynlai

Registered
I replied to a post once that Sylvania SilverStars are a good recommendation. I have to retract that now and give it a negative (-)5 stars... if the bad ratings even go that low.

I've installed one for my low beam about 3-4 months ago after buying one from Kragen's Auto Parts. I loved how bright it is. This past weekend it burnt out on my ride. Considering I paid $25 a pop for the bulb, I sent Sylvania a email, and here's their reply:

----------------------Start Quote from Sylvania-------------
Thank you for your inquiry.

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced failure of your SilverStar
headlights. The SilverStars are a performance, premium halogen that has a
shorter life span than the standard version. The shorter life span is directly
related to the performance nature of the lamps. The blue absorption coating on
the glass contributes to the crisp white light emitted, but also traps heat
inside the capsule, causing the filament to burn out more quickly, thus
decreasing the life. As with most high performance products, there is a trade-
off between the higher performance and the life hours, unfortunately. The
SilverStar product works harder (not burns hotter, however) to give the whiter,
brighter light and that impacts the life hours. The SilverStar product is
quoted as "lasting up to a year" (from our FAQ on the website):

SilverStar Frequently Asked Questions
What is the life expectancy of SilverStar?

The life expectancy of a SilverStar halogen light source is dependent on the
driver's use of the lights, which vary by season, time of day and number of
miles driven. We estimate the SilverStar halogen lights to have a life span of
up to one year under average driving conditions. The life of the SilverStar is
further decreased if being used in a day-time running light application.

If you feel that your personal driving habits do not warrant the life expectancy that you received from your SilverStars, please go to http://www.sylvania.com/Consume....on.htm. From this link you will be able to find the SilverStar Satisfaction Policy and Form. Please review this form and the instructions to receive your refund.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience your SilverStar may have caused.

Thank you,
Lise Boisvert
OSRAM SYLVANIA
Automotive Lighting
-----------------End Quote from Sylvania-------------------

Although what she said makes sense, I can't agree with her on the longevity of the bulb. I know that there are Xeon wanna be bulbs out there that give close to Sylvania's SilverStar brightness that last a lot longer for around same price (PIAAs) or less than whay Sylvania is charging for their bulbs.

For example, I put on a pair of Hiper lights (http://www.24hiper.com/headlightbulbs.htm) in my Acura CL and they've lasted me 2.5 years before one burnt out. For about $25 a PAIR, that's a good deal. Then I tried the PIAAs at $70 a pair. Just nice as the Hipers, but almost 3 times the price. But those PIAAs been good for the last 2 years now.

So the question is: How can 2 smaller companies (Hiper I suspect being just a little more than a "Mom & Pop" size) strike a reasonable balance between performance and longevity, while a huge giant corporation like Sylvania can't? Needless to say, I'm as satisfied with Sylvania's response as I am with the quality of their SilverStar bulbs... Which is to say I'm very disappointed.

I would've gone through their Policy Satisfaction form, but I don't have the receipt from Kragens any more... + the hassle of packing it up and mailing it to them.

So I would like to recant that positive statement I made about Sylvania SilverStar bulbs. For 3-4 months of use at $25 a pop, they're not worth it. With other automotive / motorcycle bulb manufacturers like Hiper there's alternatives.

"Up to a year"... nice way of covering their own asses.

Note that being a large company should in no way indicate to you that they have superior technology. Many times it is the small companies willing to take risks which make the important contributions. Not that that is necessarily the case here - it could simply be a product defect which resulted in an extremely short lifespan.

At least you got a response from their customer service department and an explanation. Their product may not be good, but the fact that they responded is a credit to them in some small respect.

Back