What to do with my life? And other issues. Just venting.

BusaMan - I feel you and know EXACTLY what you are going through. I think at some point in our late 20's or early 30's we all go through this. Be careful with the shopping addiction, I am still paying for mine! Buying all that cool new stuff makes you feel great for a moment but then it is gone. My shopping addiction went full circle to a pill addiction that I finally struggled out of at the begining of this year. I think it was easier to zone out then to face my unhappiness about the future and that I hadn't completed any of my goals or dreams. All I can say is: "This too shall pass". One day you will find yourself wondering how you came through it all but thankful you are happy.

Have you really sat down and thought about whether you could be suffering from a lasting depression?

ok... so... what are you going to do? You laid the issue out for your friends here, now we'll be your accountability motivation!

What are you going to do? and when?

"You do the same thing over and over and it digs a rutt. Rutts are graves unless you climb out of them"

Busa and Wag both if your Avitars are your actual siginificat others I do not want to hear any fussing out of either of you. :laugh:

My significant other is MUCH MUCH MUCH better looking than that. :D --Wag--

Wow, your thread really hits home with me. I have worked hard to accumulate "things". Mutliple homes, cars, toys, etc.... When I moved to this state it all hit home about how material things mean nothing. This area (Vegas) has to be the most materialistic I have ever lived in. The depression starting growing deep within me and at times I felt it was going to kill me.

I woke up one morning asking myself, Why do I need all this "stuff"? I made the conscious decision to do something about it. I started working towards a different goal. At the end of this year I will be walking away from a HUGE salary and moving out of this state. I will start my own business. It will still require hard work and long hours, but it will be for the benefit of me, my family and my employees.

No longer will my toys have to be the newest, baddest or fastest. I will live to spend time with my family and create the bonds that will last long after the material items break, are broken or are sold.

I am 44yo. If it not to late for me then it is definietly not to late for you. PM me anytime you want to talk about it.

We should start a support group. I'm right there with ya, man, except for starting the business part. I'm close, though. --Wag--

Lose your job, and worry about where you'll get the money to pay for the mortgage/rent, billls etc...Do that for a few months and then you will see your boring job and other things that have fallen out of perspective as gold. Wistful words of wisdom.

+1 :thumbsup:

Lose your job, and worry about where you'll get the money to pay for the mortgage/rent, billls etc...Do that for a few months and then you will see your boring job and other things that have fallen out of perspective as gold. Wistful words of wisdom.

This is a good point, but I also think it's important that we all acknowledge our difficulties in life. If this is a good paying job that we hate, well, sure life could be worse, but it really doesn't make it any easier to get up and spend 8+ hrs in your current version of hell.

Have you talked to your boss about possible cross-training or changing your job responsibilities? That could be a win-win. Add something new/improve something at work to help their business and make your work-life easier.

Volunteering is an excellent idea. Food banks need a lot of help. Interested in sports? Maybe look into officiating some youth sports.

Sounds like you need to spice up your life. good luck!

He he... Yeah, been trying to work out just what in the hell I'm going to do with myself as well...

Weird place to be, midlife and feel like I just graduated High School again. Dunno what to do? The wife loves having me at home full time, cooking, cleaning, etc. and we don't really need my income, but it puts me in a very strange position... Disconcerting really.

1. Get another job and go back to work.
2. GO back to school, get a degree in something different. Always wanted to be a Materials Engineer/metallurgist. Figure it would work well with the Art/Metalworking and Jewelery background.
3. Kind of thinking about finding some demolition work maybe... Hard Physical labor sounds like it might be really rewarding, at least for awhile, besides getting paid to rip things down could be therapeutic both mentally and physically.

So yeah, very strange to be trying to figure out "what to do with my life" :rofl: at 37... WTF?

At the same time, I feel really lucky to be in a position where we aren't facing any looming financial crisis, especially with the economy the way it is... It's pretty spooky out there.

Back