What the hell?

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
It's Christmas Eve.

I have this urge to write a long, Revlis-Style mush-fest but I'll spare y'all. Rev, step up to the plate, if you will. Instead, I'll write a long ramble. Let's see if this is any fun or not.
biggrin.gif

I'm 41. For some reason, I don't remember my childhood very well. I think parental abuse may have had something to do with it but that's only a part of this.

Christmas depresses the crap outta me every year. Probably something to do with my above-mentioned screwed up kiddie-time. Yesterday, I was in the parking lot of Barnes and Noble, following a little red car. All of a sudden, she throws it into reverse and I hit the horn. Too late. CRASH! She crunched into me. It's been literally YEARS since I've been involved in any kind of accident.

I jumped out pissed off but between my door and her door, I calmed down. She met me at the point of impact. Our two cars were snuggled up real close there, very nicely in the parking lot. I just said, "Break out your insurance and your license." She was nearly in a panic and couldn't see the situation for what it was. I understand, though. Hitting someone with a car is pretty serious most times.

She seems like a rather young kid. 21 to 25 or so. Just moved in from Ohio. Still doesn't have new plates or license for this state. Insurance card was not current but she assured me that the policy was still in force. She was shaking and her voice was very unsteady, like she thought I was going to poke her lights out or something. She wanted to call the police and do a report but I suggested that if they were interested, they'd show up.

I copied all her information down and wrote down mine for her. By this time, I've talked her down pretty well, giving her assurances that that's what insurance is for and not to worry about it, yada yada yada. As I looked at the intersection of our two cars once more, it was clear that they were probably not even damaged very badly. Her car is a piece of crap and mine needs a new paint job soon anyway. I asked her to pull her car away from mine a little and when she does, it's even more apparent that the damage is very minimal. Hell, I can't even tell if there's any damage at all but my car needs a bath and you can't be too sure.

I told her I probably wouldn't even call her insurance company but I'd know better when I got home and washed it down a litte. I told her as long as it hasn't punched a hole through the plastic bumper, I probably won't worry about it. She drives off and parks. We parked across from her a little ways. She works in the B&N where we are going to go shopping. When we came out, her husband met us in the parking lot. He was all apologies and concerns. Cool. I reassure him, too.

I still need to call them and tell them, "Merry Christmas," and not to worry about it. The car is fine. I can't even see the point of impact. In this case, plastic bumpers turned out to be better than metal. Yay!

Well, Christmas could be a lot of things to people. To me and my wife, it's about us. We enjoy each other's company, we take full advantage of the opportunity to call or visit friends and bask in their company. We do that year 'round, too, but for some reason, the thoughts and feelings of Christmas season are undeniably warmer and more enjoyable.

The mad rush of a parking lot accident or a problem with a merchant pale by comparison. That's why I do all my Christmas shopping in about 4 or 6 hours on Christmas Eve. It minimizes the impact!

Eh. As I said, this was just a ramble. I hope you all have a GREAT Christmas and New Year's Eve!!!

For all my h.org friends, hugs and kisses, always!

--Wag--

Was a great gift of patience and assurance you gave to a stranger on Chrsitmas Eve day. Sorry to hear about your early years. Maybe you and the misses can make some new GOOD tapes to erase the previous ones? Many scars don't have to be permenant.
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing, Wag!

WAG:
Christmas is different for everyone... sorry to hear about your screwed up childhood that now deprives you of enjoying Christmas.

To me...
Christmas is spending time with "Friends" laughing and having a good time. Take for instance a breakfast at a great little Mexican joint on Central. Cathe and I had a great time watching everyone getting along, joking, laughing and talking about times in their lives. There was smiles up and down the table and it appeared everyone had a good time...

That is what Christmas is to me... loving you Friends and Family. Heck I have Christmas just about every other week these days and I am not complaining.

Hope you have a good day tomorrow with Nan... I may call to try out that gift that Cathe got me that I don't know about. Weather is supposr to be around 47F... maybe a ride in the afternoon before dinner?

Wag, great story.

I must admit that the wifey has the same outlook on the Holidays.

Her family puts a lot of stress on her around this time and for a while it was hard for me to understand.

You have to find the "silver lining" in the situation that allows you to enjoy the people that care for you.

In our case, I travel to get her mind off of the stress.

Hang in there boys.
beerchug.gif

When I was writing that, I kind of drifted off into a zone there and forgot to say that even though Christmas does depress the hell outta me, I still find a great deal of enjoyment with my wife and my friends. Some of my family, too and some of the wiff's family. (BTW, in case people wonder, "wiff," is a term of endearment that I have for my wife and we get a kick out of it!
biggrin.gif
) Back on topic, though, the enjoyment I have with the people in my life extends to the entire year, therefore, Christmas to me is a year-round thing nowadays.

I think that's as it should be!

And it's still going to be a good day tomorrow!

--Wag--

P.S. Thanks for all of your comments. I greatly appreciate it.

--Wag--

Hey Wag, Sorry to hear about your child hood!! I hear this more and more lately from lots of friends! Sounds like you are making lots of new memorys your self to erase the old ones. Glad the car is not too bad either. The girl was lucky you are are nice about it. I am sure you made her Xmas!! Have a great Xmas with your wife and family and friends!

very cool move on your part. good control of your temper.
may the rest of christmas be merry for you and happy new year.

Cool Story, I read Revlis post also. I do not like to get into religious discussions. Try to avoid them. I feel that I am a Christian and believe Christmas is about family and for the kids. No matter what the true orientation is or true dates are, we need to cherish life and family and this is one day out of the year when everyone gets together to celebrate family.

From my family to all of yours out there, Have a Merry Christmas!!!

Hey Wag, sounds like you made that young couples Christmas by not making a big deal out of the accident. It is really great how you defused the situation and got the young lady calmed down. Good job. My unbringing was similiar to yours, but it contrast to your feeling of Christmas I vowed to make the life of my kids as special as I could. Not always successfully but at least we tried. Now, similiar to you, I enjoy the entimacy of sharing a pretty great life with my wife. Just getting to be with a wonderful woman and having her in my life everyday is great. Anyhow, this is a great post, and once again your cool head and understanding prevailed and resulted in a great gift to those young folks. Merry Christmas to you and your wife.

Thanks, Copperone. That means a lot.

To update, I called the gal back yesterday and let her know not to worry about it. She sounded exceptionally relieved. We talked for a bit and it became clear that they were spending Christmas away from their family for the first time. I muted my phone for a moment and talked it over real quick with the wiff and she concurred. We invited the two of them to have Christmas dinner with us.

They sounded very elated to have the invite but they said they had family and friends calling from back east and wouldn't be able to leave the house. They thanked us profusely for the invitation.

Alone away from family for the first time can be pretty tough. I let them know that they were welcome if they get all their calls done before the night draws down on everyone. It's unlikely and I'm sure they feel a little strange visiting a couple who's car they just bashed!
biggrin.gif

Anyhoo, I'm in a great mood today for some reason. This is unusual for me at this time of year. I need to be careful I don't say or do something too stupid!
biggrin.gif

Have a great one!

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

I'm glad to hear you handled it the way you did it shows your a good person, there's some people out there that trys to get all they can can get over nothing, I hate people like that, Merry Christmas to you

Very cool Lou!!

I wish we lived closer and we would join you guys for dinner
biggrin.gif

The generosity around here is humbling. I have only been back here a few months, but I feel privledged to be a part of a group that knows no bounds or limits to shareing their time, talents and money with those in need.

Wag, you're old school and I'm sure those kids don't trust you and would feel strange about the dinner invite. No one trust anyone now-a-days because of all the POS's in the world. Good job on the way you handled the situation. You might consider calling the law in the future to protect yourself. You can tell the law you just wanted a report and that the parties had decided to take care of it privately. Most people today would have opened the door and rolled out on the ground holding their neck.

You have been very generous to two people I'm sure needed the generousity. I can still remember starting out and having nothing. Merry Christmas my friend.

beerchug.gif
That is what Christmas is all about. It's not the gifts, it is the good will toward man that the season should promote. You did a good deed! Marry Christmas.

(Charlesbusa @ Dec. 25 2006,13:59) Very cool Lou!!

I wish we lived closer and we would join you guys for dinner
biggrin.gif
Same here, man. We did prime rib this year and it turned out in-frickin'-credible! You woulda loved it!

--Wag--

(dadofthree @ Dec. 25 2006,14:48) Wag, you're old school and I'm sure those kids don't trust you and would feel strange about the dinner invite. No one trust anyone now-a-days because of all the POS's in the world. Good job on the way you handled the situation. You might consider calling the law in the future to protect yourself. You can tell the law you just wanted a report and that the parties had decided to take care of it privately. Most people today would have opened the door and rolled out on the ground holding their neck.

You have been very generous to two people I'm sure needed the generousity. I can still remember starting out and having nothing. Merry Christmas my friend.
That is good advice. She even wanted to get a police report but I don't really get why. Maybe the rules are different here in NM than in CA though I doubt she would know. In CA, if the damage is below a certain amount ($600?) no report is required unless there is an injury. I don't know if the NM rules are the same or not.

A mall security guy showed up, too and she told him she backed in to me, but I have no idea who he is. I suppose I'd have to look hard to track him down.

I doubt I'll get screwed by this couple. I could get a big surprise or something but judging the person, I think I called it right.

If she had jumped out holding her neck, all bets are off. First off, she was 100% at fault and second, she only hit me about one or two mph. No way she could have been hurt by that low-impact!

Eh. I'm still who I am, regardless. Maybe slightly to a fault but who knows?

It was still a Merry Christmas for me!

--Wag--

Back