What kind of torque wrench recommended for home use?

I have an older Snap-On 1/2" for bigger stuff , and a few months ago the local Sears had the 3/8" torque-wrench on sale for $39.99 ! ! So , of course I grabbed one ! :please:

Any torque wrench is good, as long as you don't just go till it sounds expensive LOL

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Never skimp on a torque wrench.
^ This.
For home use, Craftsman or NAPA....or stop a Snap-on or a Matco truck and buy some bling. :laugh:

I'd say Mac too, but I heard the dealers are getting bad about "If you didn't buy it from me, I can't help you" B.S.
...I'd be able to say for sure if we actually had a Mac dealer at our shop. (or at least one that would stay in business for more than 3 months..) :whistle:

For heavy torque - I've been using a 1/2 inch beam style for 30 years - Nothing better, more reliable and inexpensive for easy to reach place like wheel lugs and axle nuts and such. I too would shy away from cheaper click style torques. I think even the more expensive click ones are prone to failing accuracy and need calibration frequently. I have a couple older craftsman 3/8 and 1/4 for smaller and tighter jobs. The truth is I'm kinda a feel guy mostly and use torques for heavy torque (axle nuts) and for tightening multi-bolt covers (clutch covers)...

Another Tip. Military directives do not allow usage of the lowest 20% of a torque wrenches range due to accuracy issues. So for a 200 in/lb wrench you would not use 40in/lbs or lower. They are calibrated clockwise only +- 4% in the upper 80% of their range unless a special calibration is requested. You would not believe how many brand new commercial wrenches are sent off to DRMO cause they do not meed industry standard. Don't think it matters for motorcycles though. Your tax dollars at work!

Back