Torque Wrench Users check this!

jeremy_283

Registered
I have the small torque wrench from harbor freight, great little in.lbs. torque wrench. Today I noticed some discoloration (from dirt sticking to an oily substance) around my oil pan so i thought I would check to make sure the bolts are at 7 ft.lbs (84 in.lbs.)........ I set my torque wrench and the bolt made a cracking sound and began to turn.... long story short, the night previous to this I set my torque wrench at the lowest setting and I must have accidently stepped on it or something and the *click* was stuck open so my wrench didnt click......... I turned it back down to the lowest setting and broke the *click* free by hand

I removed the bolt and inspected it, no threads or metal shavings came out.... I am going to order a new bolt though just in case I have weakened this one from the torque to ensure the head dont twist or pop off ever... i guess my only worry is the *cracking* sound.... but I HOPE and ASSUME it was the bolt breaking free for the first time since it came from the factory

NOTE: After i removed the bolt I am soon to replace I reinserted it and torqued it to 7 ft.lbs no problem as well

Last edited:
I don't think I'd worry about it if there is no evidence of thread problems.
Word to the wise though, don't cheap out on a specialty tools...

Harbor Freight = Made in China!

I'd check that puppy against a quality tool to make sure it's somewhat accurate before I bet my busa on it!

I've stripped out oil drain bolts before, you're fine. You'd know if you stripped it out. The case isn't gonna crack before the threads give out though. You're fine..

wait, if it made a cracking sound when you took it apart, then that would be a good sign that the locktite they used at the factory did its job, unless you damaged something that you can physically see, you should not have to replace the bolt..

If it made that crack sound as it was tightened, then its possible you have stripped out the case

Last edited:
wait, if it made a cracking sound when you took it apart, then that would be a good sign that the locktite they used at the factory did its job, unless you damaged something that you can physically see, you should not have to replace the bolt..

If it made that crack sound as it was tightened, then its possible you have stripped out the case

This^^^

Also are you sure it wasn't the cheapy torque wrench that "cracked"??

Back