What I learned from my first get off on the busa

Stilslo

Registered
After a minor(40ish mph) lowside, I took away a few things....

1. Parts are expensive. After careful shopping I have most stuff on the way. Left side fairings, nose fairing, mirror, stator cover, new levers, and helmet visor ran me about $1,200. That does not include scraped exhaust(might let that go for now), rear light pod(small scuff I'm going to try and fix), broken rear set, and my $250.00 jacket.

2. I need to find a track to have fun on. I always leave a little on the table, but even running at 80% on public roads is stupid. I have had a Saturday night ritual for some time now. I watch riding videos or read books like twist of the wrist and than go out early Sunday morning and find the best road I can to practice what I went over the night before. There is just to many variables on the street to do this safe. Cars, animals, little bit of sand in the middle of the corner, whatever.

3. Think about other people besides myself. Kinda goes along with #2. My fiance would not talk to me the rest of the day. She wasn't mad because I wrecked. I was in a desolate area riding the bike like I was on a racetrack. Had I seriously injured myself I could have gone all day without anybody seeing me or knowing where I was.

4. Get the right tire for my style of riding. I still have a hard time putting any blame on my new PR2's because I've ridden with Mike(sportscustoms71) a lot and he has them on his bike and he is a very aggresive rider. Maybe the S20's I had on before just covered my rider flaws enough in the corners, but I still can't figure out why I went down and it bugs me. I was concentrating hard on body postition and throttle controll thru the corners, but that rear end came around out of nowhere. There was a little sand in the corner and I've hit gravel in corners with the S20's, but I could stay on the gas and the rear would slide a bit then grip and go.

5. Gear saved me a scrubbing in the hospitol. Been there done that, glad I was geared up. I will say mesh jackets do not offer a lot of protection. My leather pants are a little scuffed, but my jacket is shredded. It's a combo textile/mesh joe rocket/suzuki jacket and anywhere I slid on a mesh part, it came apart. The only marks I had on my body were protected by mesh.

6. And last, this is a great site with some awesome members. The Org. is invaluable for searching for how to fixes and finding parts. Thanks to all those that answered my q's and helped me find the stuff to get up and running again.:thumbsup:

I've got stock cans and a bar end

Thanks, I still have my stock cans laying around. The Yoshi isn't scraped up too bad so I might just leave them on for now. Maybe I can talk my girl into a new Brocks for Christmas:laugh: I'll buy the bar end from you though.

Since doing track days, I don't get to aggressive on the street anymore. What year is your busa? I think I have a new rear brake light cover for a gen 1 if you need it.

Since doing track days, I don't get to aggressive on the street anymore. What year is your busa? I think I have a new rear brake light cover for a gen 1 if you need it.

Brake light cover didn't get damaged, but thanks anyway.

Third gear at 40 mph? So your RPM would have been around 3K maybe less?

Near 100% of street bikes I have picked up after loosing the rear on a corner (Many are highsides) are one or two gears too tall for the corner. At 40 mph you should be in first gear if you are riding aggressively. The rule of thumb is to keep the rpm in the top 25% throughout the corner. When working with street riders I often tape over the tach with only the upper 1/3 of the tach visible instructing the rider to keep the tach needle visible at all times unless they are using first gear.

Big bikes with big torque are the most difficult to manage. I like to refer to throttle control as "Powerband Management" which includes the combination of Speed, Gear Selection & Throttle Control.

There is a lesson to be learned from every crash. Fix the issues you know you have "Tires & Gear Choice" then move on to improving your skills.

Keep this in mind "Riding a motorcycle is all about managing traction"!

next time..make the pretty girls ride on the back? :laugh:

jk'ing...but i'm not now..i bet you were covering the rear brake when the tail passed the head.

when i ride hard?.."THE BALL" of my right foot stays on the peg...trail-braking at the track is one thing..but my right foot stays far away from the rear brake in the streets.

glad ya lived to tell about it. L8R, Bill. :cool:

Hey Tuf,

How can a 25% rule apply to all bikes reguardless of power and configuration? I always try to keep the bike in a comfortable rpm so that I can hit the apex without any clutch or engine braking. Usually thats in the 6-8K area. 11K in first gear is over 70 mph. Is this wrong?

Third gear at 40 mph? So your RPM would have been around 3K maybe less?

Near 100% of street bikes I have picked up after loosing the rear on a corner (Many are highsides) are one or two gears too tall for the corner. At 40 mph you should be in first gear if you are riding aggressively. The rule of thumb is to keep the rpm in the top 25% throughout the corner. When working with street riders I often tape over the tach with only the upper 1/3 of the tach visible instructing the rider to keep the tach needle visible at all times unless they are using first gear.

Big bikes with big torque are the most difficult to manage. I like to refer to throttle control as "Powerband Management" which includes the combination of Speed, Gear Selection & Throttle Control.

There is a lesson to be learned from every crash. Fix the issues you know you have "Tires & Gear Choice" then move on to improving your skills.

Keep this in mind "Riding a motorcycle is all about managing traction"!

In my mind I was thinking higher gear thru corners meant less likely hood of getting on the gas to hard and smoother throttle control. Thanks for the tip. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

take this with a grain of salt, but i hit the twisties primarily in 4th. no, i am not a track rat and can spit out good advice but i can say from experience (street riding) that 4th feels comfortable to me and throttle is smooth with trail braking combined. again, i am not too sure if i am doing it right but it has worked for me for the past 12 years. i will add that the dunlop sportmax tires give me complete confidence and always dressed to crash. parts replacement sucks but life could be a heck of a lot worse. i did look for my stock mirrors for you the other night but i must of junked them like an idiot. best advice i could give would be to think of others out there on the street like you have mentioned. cyclists are my biggest priority since i have had too many close calls out on those back roads. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you're doing a good job of using the gray matter and gaining what you can from the experience. And I'm right there with ya on finding and track and leaving the streets for chill riding. Too many variables out there in the real world to get anywhere near the limits. :beerchug:

learn learn learn! Good job man! Sometimes learning comes the hard way! As far as the corners, when I'm riding hard in the twisties I try to stay in a low gear. I find that gives me more throttle control. I would probably hit a 40 mph corner in 2nd gear, keeping the RPMs a little high. I don't suspect your gear choice was your issue though, sounds to me like something was either in the road (sand) or you just had the wrong tires on for the style of riding (I suspect the latter). But it's just my opinion, and you know about opinions....:laugh: Still just glad you are safe, you WILL be a better rider for it! ...oh, and invest in a leather jacket!:whistle:

Hey Tuf,

How can a 25% rule apply to all bikes reguardless of power and configuration? I always try to keep the bike in a comfortable rpm so that I can hit the apex without any clutch or engine braking. Usually thats in the 6-8K area. 11K in first gear is over 70 mph. Is this wrong?

The 25% rule works on every bike regardless of size or HP. The trick is to get your bike into the gear you intend to use for the exit of the corner early. High engine RPM does four things for you, it creates compression braking, it helps to stabilize the chassy throughout the turn, if you happen to spin the tire it's much more manageable at the upper end of the RPM range and it gives maximum acceleration off the corner. For fun back road twisty days exit speed is usually not a priority.

I too, spend much of my back road fun at mid RPM range. It works fine as long as you are gentle with the throttle until the bike is completely vertical on corner exits. It's all about "Powerband Management" and managing traction. The more lean angle you have the more important the throttle and gear selection becomes. Get sloppy with the throttle at severe lean angles and you will end up on your head "Guaranteed" !

After a minor(40ish mph) lowside, I took away a few things....

1. Parts are expensive. After careful shopping I have most stuff on the way. Left side fairings, nose fairing, mirror, stator cover, new levers, and helmet visor ran me about $1,200. That does not include scraped exhaust(might let that go for now), rear light pod(small scuff I'm going to try and fix), broken rear set, and my $250.00 jacket.

2. I need to find a track to have fun on. I always leave a little on the table, but even running at 80% on public roads is stupid. I have had a Saturday night ritual for some time now. I watch riding videos or read books like twist of the wrist and than go out early Sunday morning and find the best road I can to practice what I went over the night before. There is just to many variables on the street to do this safe. Cars, animals, little bit of sand in the middle of the corner, whatever.

3. Think about other people besides myself. Kinda goes along with #2. My fiance would not talk to me the rest of the day. She wasn't mad because I wrecked. I was in a desolate area riding the bike like I was on a racetrack. Had I seriously injured myself I could have gone all day without anybody seeing me or knowing where I was.

4. Get the right tire for my style of riding. I still have a hard time putting any blame on my new PR2's because I've ridden with Mike(sportscustoms71) a lot and he has them on his bike and he is a very aggresive rider. Maybe the S20's I had on before just covered my rider flaws enough in the corners, but I still can't figure out why I went down and it bugs me. I was concentrating hard on body postition and throttle controll thru the corners, but that rear end came around out of nowhere. There was a little sand in the corner and I've hit gravel in corners with the S20's, but I could stay on the gas and the rear would slide a bit then grip and go.

5. Gear saved me a scrubbing in the hospitol. Been there done that, glad I was geared up. I will say mesh jackets do not offer a lot of protection. My leather pants are a little scuffed, but my jacket is shredded. It's a combo textile/mesh joe rocket/suzuki jacket and anywhere I slid on a mesh part, it came apart. The only marks I had on my body were protected by mesh.

6. And last, this is a great site with some awesome members. The Org. is invaluable for searching for how to fixes and finding parts. Thanks to all those that answered my q's and helped me find the stuff to get up and running again.:thumbsup:

Glad you are OK, I'll stamp that jacket comment, I went down at about 65 MPH and the only skin I lost was on my right elbow and a little scrape on my knee, had on riding jeans with the pads, and the pad moved in the textile part of the jacket when it ripped, the leather portion just scuffed. Looking for perforated leather now for those hot humid days. Good boots are a must too, I wear the full SIDI vortice, the doctors at the hospital were amazed at how much protection they offered.

Back