What helmet

newman

Registered
Hello, What do you think about filp up helmets is there any difference between these and ordinary full face helmets. I've just seen a flip up with a five star safety rating (forgot the make) for £120/$185 the front flips up and there is a sun visor which flips down I known there would be drag on the helmet with it flipped up so what does everone think should I get that or would anybody recommend something else. ta Dave

Myself I don't like them, don't know if they're any less safe than the solid ones, I just don't like the look. My .02.

a few of the guys i ride with have them cuz they are smokers and if we make a quick stop they dont have to remove their helmets to have a smoke. but i think thats the only reason they have them :laugh:

I have the Symax from HJC. I also have a solid full face from them as well. I ride them about 50 50. Convince is the big selling point to me. If I am riding a point a to to point b ride the solid is my choice. If I am doing something where I will be on and off the bike, conversing, getting some water or what ever goes with a longer more relaxed ride the flip front is what I choose.

I had one years ago. I just liked the idea of having one at first. The convenience of it was cool. I mounted a cup holder on my FJ1200 and I used to get a drink at Mcdonalds. It fit right behind my windshield and I was able to flip the helmet up and take a sip at a light of course.:laugh:
I lost that novelty shortly afterwards and got rid of the helmet. They are okay, but not a need. Safety wise, I have yet to see anyone go down that was wearing one. Good luck with your decision.

I have had friends that use them and they are pretty usefull but I will not buy/use any helmet that is does not carry a SNELL certification.

Back