What grounds you?

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Last night, I finally got a chance to watch 3 hours of shows on the SS that aired on the History International channel last week...as much as I've seen and read about the Holocaust in my life, I seem to always be amazed at the twisted teachings of the Third Reich and I am never prepared to view the footage of concentration camps, of the families being torn apart and paraded to various parts of camp for various purposes, people digging their own graves and being forced in them before being murdered, footage of the smallest of kids alone and scared, not knowing what's going on or why...all I could see and think about were my two sons lying in the room next to me sleeping vs. how difficult life was for those victims, how those that survived carry all of what they saw and experienced in their early years for the rest of their lives, how does one fathom what happened?

I know far too many around me that think their lives are so tough, that they don't get a break from "life", that work's too hard, the marriage is tough, they need a vacation and why isn't anyone helping them with the kids today...blah blah blah...I'm guilty of feeling this way too...

I appreciate a good dose of "damn, I'm so spoiled" every now and again...those stories ground me...make me realize how precious life is and how easy my life really is compared to so many that came before me...I read about the atrocities around the globe, past and present, to really keep perspective on how tough life can be...

Just my random thoughts today...those shows really got to me last night; I guess that's why I'm posting...  
sad.gif

What, if anything, keeps your life in perspective?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with the concentration camp comments, but any war memorial will also drive the point home. Here are thousands of men and women who gave their all, many of whom were barely older than kids, so we can now bitch about cold fries from the drive-thru.

I get a pretty steady dose of reality doing the police towing too. The carnage and misery that some people could have easily avoided by pulling their heads out of their azzes is incredible.

I usually walk around in a pretty good mood because I don't take a nice day or good company for granted any more.

watching people i know die from cancer has put life into a good perspective for me.
it makes me realize just how good i have got it when something in my life goes bad .
seeing the old folks in the nursing home, the people in wheelchairs now this tears me up big time.

It certainly will open your eyes as to how good we have it.I work with a German guy,one of the nicest people I've ever met.That part of German history is not something they are proud of.There have been some twisted leaders throughout history.

Although I think history is important and we can learn a lot of life lessons from the past, the one thing that keeps me grounded are the people around me.

A great example of that is the little boy that dreamin_of_ridin helped over Christmas.

It amazes me how individually we think that we struggle, but if we share a few pennies, donate our time, or just ask for help anyone can make a difference.

I agree 100% about the comment on just visiting a war memorial, any war memorial...

I guess I just wonder sometimes why Americans (hey, chime in if other nations are like this) are just plain spoiled?! Is it just me? Some days I view our own nation as full of people that can't get enough psychologists or pills to help them through their tough times...then I wonder how they're really handle a REAL problem in their lives...not trying to start an argument here, just an observation and venting some frustration over someone in my life that just doesn't have an ounce of perspective in her life...
mad.gif

NJ - on that show, they had ex-SS officers, some were humbled and said they were following orders, it was an honor to serve, etc and then others would look right in the camera and say "hey, we had to kill them, it's just what we had to do", no remorse, no understanding...it was disturbing...

(thepushercg @ Jan. 05 2007,11:46) watching people i know die from cancer has put life into a good perspective for me.
it makes me realize just how good i have got it when something in my life goes bad .
seeing the old folks in the nursing home, the people in wheelchairs now this tears me up big time.
Yep, been there too...painful to watch, yet we were fortunate (how greedy does that sound?) that when my step-father passed from cancer, it was peaceful and I felt in that moment that there was little need to fear death...

Of course, so many suffer so much more...
sad.gif

(heavybusa @ Jan. 05 2007,12:09) Although I think history is important and we can learn a lot of life lessons from the past, the one thing that keeps me grounded are the people around me.

A great example of that is the little boy that dreamin_of_ridin helped over Christmas.

It amazes me how individually we think that we struggle, but if we share a few pennies, donate our time, or just ask for help anyone can make a difference.
Yep, that gave perspective for sure...just about every time I turn on the news, I am reminded of just how lucky I am...nothing but sad stuff going on
sad.gif

My wife. I've told her story here a few times but the short version is this:

When she was 15 she was struck with a debilitating liver disorder called Budd-Chiari syndrome. Little is known about it today, much less 21 years ago. At the time, the docs were barely able to save her life with MAJOR surgery. She suffered extremely during that process, something I hate to imagine.

Right after that surgery, the docs told her that if the process were rejected by her body, she would die within a year. Pretty harsh to tell a teenage girl something like that.

To cut a long story short, her body rejected it but in the process, created its own solution and while she is not completely 100% functional now, she is much better than anyone ever dreamed she would ever be. The stories we tell about the amazement of various doctors is nearly comical!

The point is that during all of that trauma, pain, suffering and continued problems, my wife has always had a positive outlook and a very generous, thoughtful nature about her. She's an example to me every day of what a life really means. What it's really all about and how precious life really is.

I get that grounding nearly every day and I'm glad of it. I can't imagine what an a$$hole I'd be if I didn't have her in my life every day.

It's bad enough as it is!
biggrin.gif

Anyhoo, I know what you mean about people's suffering. There are some really problematic situations for people out there which make us realize that we're not all we really believe ourselves to be. It's humbling, to be sure.

--Wag--

(Wag @ Jan. 05 2007,12:26) Anyhoo, I know what you mean about people's suffering.  There are some really problematic situations for people out there which make us realize that we're not all we really believe ourselves to be.  It's humbling, to be sure.

--Wag--
That's exactly what I think most need to learn to do...in those moments when you think your life is so damn bad, consider what's worse...it may help you get through your bad day/minute/10 seconds
wink.gif

So glad your wife is okay today given all she's been through and I am certain she'll always be that rock for you...she, like so many that truly face bad health problems, have the most postive outlook on life. I wonder where they get that from...
smile.gif
bowdown.gif

By the way, I am guilty of what I'm whining about here...figured I'd make sure everyone knows I'm not on a pedestal here...
laugh.gif

Losing my parents has taught me what is important in life.
My dad died when I was 9, my mom when I was 30. My stepfather kind of slid away when he remarried.

Sure material things are nice, fun to play with, fun to own. But love is the greatest thing ever. My mother (and her mother) were the most loving people I've ever met. And not the kind like "I love you, will you give me this." But "I love you". That's all. No exceptions, no buts, no ifs. And not just family, but everyone they met. To them every person was worthy of love...

Remembering them keeps me grounded. I try to think of what would they say or do or react.

Crap.. thanks Va, now my eyes are leaking... I think I need a
all_coholic.gif

smile.gif

One of my favorite quotes......

"In an age of nothing, at a time when we stand at the brink of our own destruction-Strengthen your belief in yourself, in the future of humanity, in the things which cannot easily be perceived. Awaken that which lies dormant now within your soul, re-ignight the flame of your consciousness and measure the strength of your conviction. Reveal the lie, renounce your hatred, seek, find, and embrace the truths you are fortunate enough to discover. Use them to anchor you in the Sea of Chaos that is the world we live in. When twilight draws near, when you are pushed to the very limits of your soul. When it seems that all you have left are the dead remnants of the fabric of your life-BELIEVE....."

(VaBusa @ Jan. 05 2007,11:09) I guess I just wonder sometimes why Americans (hey, chime in if other nations are like this) are just plain spoiled?!  Is it just me?  Some days I view our own nation as full of people that can't get enough psychologists or pills to help them through their tough times...then I wonder how they're really handle a REAL problem in their lives...not trying to start an argument here, just an observation and venting some frustration over someone in my life that just doesn't have an ounce of perspective in her life...
mad.gif
M -
I have been to several countries and have a couple of different nationailities in my family - here is a short observation from me:
We (as citizens of the United States) began as a proud group of terrorists when separating ourselves from British rule. We grew as a people with notable accomplishments, such as the abolition of slavery, de-segregation, etc... We proved ourselves as a Superpower in themilitary arena. But over time, that pride seems to have tranformed to arrogance and entitlement. It has always amazed me how people expect to be treated as special because they are "Americans". As a group how willing to work hard are we for what we need, let alone what we want? It just seems to me that there is a certain social handicapping that is occuring all around us; getting worse and gaining momentum. People become incapable of defending themselves or working out there problems because they are not prepared to do so. What is taught in schools - not the subjects, but citizenship? What about simple competition? Sorry, I am off track somewhat, but I believe that what you mention is a reflection of what we as a nation are slowly becoming, from the inside out - weak, selfish, over-indulgent, and handicapped by a lack of the collective will that had made us great.

Sorry -
rant.gif

The timing of your comments are ironic, Michelle. I'm not rich by any means, but I was just discussing w/ my wife last night how we are likely better off than 90+% of the people in the world today.

(LadyHawk @ Jan. 05 2007,12:47) Crap.. thanks Va, now my eyes are leaking... I think I need a
all_coholic.gif

smile.gif
Here you go Brenda
all_coholic.gif
I'll drink one with you...

...sorry
sad.gif

all_coholic.gif

vman - great post...
beerchug.gif

Shawn - yeah, that's kind of where I'm going, although I think I'm all over the map! LOL Just wonder some days why people whine about what they whine about, myself included, then you see what true fear, horror, angst and pain must really be...it's all around us, in your neighbors' homes, families struggling with so much more than "how come I can't buy what I want?" or "why can't I sleep tonight?"

As a whole, I feel many lose sight of the big picture...I hope I never do...

The love of my wife keeps me honest and keeps life in perspective.  Growing up I had nothing.  On top of this I was never taught to appreciate anything I had.  I essentially grew up selfish and disrespectful.  I was probably even considered evil by some people back then.

Then I met my wife.  The love and respect we have for each other has changed me in ways I never imagined.  I am now socially, financially and personally responsible.  

5 years ago I was morally and financially bankrupt, almost a felon if I would have kept going.  After I met my wife I straightened up.  We have three cars, the Busa and a house paid off.  We have 4 cats.  I donate as much as is possible to charity every year and I work at the local "soup kitchen".

Above all my respect and love for her keeps me not only grounded but keeps everything in perspective for me.

Without her I fear I would revert but I hope I never have to find out.

**EDIT**
How time flies, it has been 7 years not 5. It feels like we just met yesterday. *grin*

Back