what gears (how high rpm's) to use on track

thelakeshow2k

Registered
went to auto club speedway this weekend and was told by some to ride the track using gears 2-4. i was going up to 10k rpms. is this ok for the busa engine? wondering what gears you're using at the track.

anyone know where to find info on what max speeds can the busa reach for each gear?

thanks!

Depends on the track, Hallett and Barber I ride in 2nd with a short blip into 3rd on the straights. Heartland Park is mostly 2nd with a short blip into 3rd at a few places and up into 4th on the straight. Miller I use 1st-5th. I try not to let the RPMs drop below 6,000 (I'm not successful in that) and run it up to redline. The Busa had over 60,000 miles before the Heartland Park and Hallett track days.

Heartland Park

Hallett Counter Clockwise

Hallett Clockwise

Miller

I didn't have working cameras at Barber last year. Will get some video from there in Oct :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Generaly speaking you want to keep as many revs in the bike as you can when ridding at the track. If your doing it right you'll have to fuel up at least every two sessions. There will usually be a few spots on the track that your rev's drop lower than you like but race tracks are kind of designed to do that to make them challenging. Gears 2,3,4 would probabaly be the most popular because 4th will take you to 150mph(stock gearing), some tracks don't even have enough space for that.

For your top speed per gear question.... Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Gear Ratio Calculator for Sprockets RPM Speed Chain
You can adjust for your tire size and gearing super nifty little site.

Found website that stated these top speeds per gear (stock): 1st: 84mph, 2nd: 115, 3rd: 143, 4th: 171, 5th: 189, 6th: ???

You guys agree on these numbers?

honestly knowing your max speed per gear is irrelevant for track riding, unless your just trying to figure out how fast your were going in a couple of spots.

honestly knowing your max speed per gear is irrelevant for track riding, unless your just trying to figure out how fast your were going in a couple of spots.

that's what I was doing. I also thought it was cool to know how fast we can
ride in each gear.

189 mph in 5th does sound high! Do the rest of the max gear speeds sound right?

Some trackday organizations make you tape over the speedo as it does not matter and you should not be distracted with it. What matters is the tach. Run the engine, just stay away from the redline. Sportbike engines are made for that kind of performance riding. Since your on the track you want to be in the powerband and below the redline. If you ride that way the busa engine will be fine especially with first gen engines and the lower compression as compared to a 2nd gen or a liter bike.

I would not crank it up to 10,500 rpm and hold it there for a minute, but running it up there is not a big issue. Remember on a trackday your either accelerating or breaking, there is no coasting or cruising.

Back