What does lowering the Busa do?

CoastieBusa

Registered
How does lowering the Busa affect handling? How would I lower it to make it more comfortable?

Thanks brothers (and sisters)
peace.gif

dog bones in the rear and a tree or reaper risers up front.  here's a pic of the tree you'll need if you go that route. it allows the forks to go through.

DSC04495.JPG

If you lower the rear, you should lower the front, but it may not need to done depending on the style of riding you do. Do you like to carve corners? If so, then you should lower the entire bike. Lowering the rear is easy, just install lowering links. You will basically be putting the swingarm closer to the frame. For someone that has never done it, it should take about 45 minutes to an hour. Soupys makes adjustables, and there are others on the market that will give you 3 positions, stock, lower an inch, and lower 2 inches. I dont recommend the 2 inch drop if you ride 2 up, we rubbed a hole in our inner fender because of this. If your riding style is just touring around, you can lower the just the rear. I know I have said alot, but it really depends on your riding style. You mentioned comfort.......do you need to lower the bike to stand flat footed, or do you feel cramped in the saddle? You may just need lower pegs and bar risers. We have members on the board that can hook you up with both. The pegs can be lowered an inch or so, and combined with bar risers, you should be much more comfortable. Hope that helps!

Mr. Twotone

Soemtimes I get on it pretty fast but that was on my 600. This is a whole ohter ball game
drools.gif
 I like to carve corners a lot but I heard lowering the bike restricts it's cornering ability? Is this a lie? I'm 6'0 200 pds so the bike is a good height already, I just have a problem when I really get on it it feels like I'm gonna slide backwards off the seat LMAO (and yes i do grip the tank with my legs etc). You said there's adjustable lowering kits? How much do these run? Does it truly lower it or just tweak the suspoension? Thanks in advance for your help!
bowdown.gif
super.gif
bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

After my wife put 6500 miles on her busa we finally lowered it 2"...and I test drove hers, threw it around real good and it actually felt great....lowered hers to get rid of the tippy toes...she actually man handles the bike more now that it's lowered.
I don't think we are touching the front..

Heres mine lowered 3 in the rear and 2 in the front.. Im 5'5 165lb..
Old pic and the reflectors are of now..
laugh.gif

Busa_003.jpg

Do it for looks, or comfort if you are short of inseam, but I doubt it would improve the handling.
Just my two cents.
laugh.gif

cheers
ken

Hmm. I've always thought that if you liked to the twisties you shouldn't lower it. You should only lower it if you like to go fast in a straight line. But I could be wrong. I am no expert by far.

Lowering the bike DOES mess with the handling in the corners !! People that are into carving usually RAIS their rear 1 inch, and leave the front alone.

Busasweety (both of them), it probably wouldn't bother them too much in the corners, BUT they BOTH are VERRY SKILLED with the twisty stuff !!!!!!
bowdown.gif

I agree with the looks thing. Mine's lowered to the middle notch (" ?) along with the front and if I didn't like the look so much... stock it is! Sorry, most times you just can't improve on good engineering.

mike

It improves handling!

I'm able to lean my bike over more and hit turns harder lowered than I can at stock height. But I'm a rookie carver.

A more advanced carver wouldn't/shouldn't do it. This is because (s)he can't achieve the bike's maximum lean angle since the pegs will now scrub the ground much sooner since they're starting out closer to the ground. In other words, if you're not close to scrubbing the pegs at stock height it'll help. If you ARE close to scrubbing, leave it alone or raise it to avoid doing so.

PS
It makes the bike look better ...

Dropped2.jpg

When you lower the rear you have to drop the front slightly to correct some steering angle. Otherwise it makes the bike handle funny.

+1 on whoever mentioned Soupy's lowering links. The turnbuckle setup on his links allows you to change the ride height without taking any bolts out, and I'd recommend his stuff to ANYONE. it's extremely well made. I'm down about 2 1/2" in the rear and 1" in the front. I love the look and love the way the bike handles. More importantly, my wife has an easier time getting on now.

Soemtimes I get on it pretty fast but that was on my 600. This is a whole ohter ball game
drools.gif
 I like to carve corners a lot but I heard lowering the bike restricts it's cornering ability? Is this a lie? I'm 6'0 200 pds so the bike is a good height already, I just have a problem when I really get on it it feels like I'm gonna slide backwards off the seat LMAO (and yes i do grip the tank with my legs etc). You said there's adjustable lowering kits? How much do these run? Does it truly lower it or just tweak the suspoension? Thanks in advance for your help!
bowdown.gif

super.gif

bowdown.gif
Since no one has answered your question on price, I will! <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-GSXR-1300-HAYABUSA-LOWERING-LINKS-99-07_W0QQitemZ150192176225QQihZ005QQcategoryZ355
99QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;">Here's</a> what you need right here! These will fix you right up. It's the same kit I bought and I love it. I keep it at 2" and the handling for me improved. But I'm a rookie carver as well, so it's helped me learn. If I ever took it to the track then I'd be raising it back to stock being as a scraped peg the other day.
ThumbsUp.gif
I know, I know guys. Scraping peg with the rear lowered 2" isn't too impressive, but I've only had the thing for 3 months, never had it at the track and it's the first bike I've ever owned. (I did ride some before)

bowdown.gif

IMHO lowering the front or raising the rear makes the bike turn in quicker. Lowering the rear only will require more steering input normally referred to as "the bike wants to stand up in the corner". Being an old racer I call it pushing (the nose).

I'm down 1& 1/2 in the nose & 1 in the tail. I think its an aggressive look. No twisties in SW FL other than an interstate ramp so ground clearance & high speed corners are not an issue + I ride solo.

Install the hump & you will not slide off when you pin the throttle.

There is a spacer kit with bolts available to raise the bar clamp so you can slide the fork tubes up. Easy cheap mod & easily adjustable to suit your riding style. Same goes for adjustable rear links.

Back