What does it take to get started??

I Love My Wife

Registered
We have 2 tracks in my area (both 3.5hrs away). I'm sure I can get all the minimum requirements from them with no trouble. My Busa has no enhancements except those designed for comfort (read stock).

I know I'll need some leathers, I wear a Scorpion All In jacket, but lack the pants. What should I look for in the pants? This is not something I wanna break the bank on, I just wanna go and learn to be a more improved/aware street rider and have some higher speed leagal fun.

I got my endorsement through a MSF course a few years back and am quite happy with how much of the information I retained. But now I'd like to learn more; how to better read entry and exit of curves, improved throttle control, a better understanding of braking and just plain old better operation of the bike.

It's been my interpretation of threads on this site that much can be gained in bike operation through participation of a track day. If that's not the case then maybe I just need to enroll in an advanced MSF course. Which is fine, but the track does sound more fun.

thanks in advance for your responses and patience with reading this long winded post :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Make sure that the pants you get will zip to your jacket. Most tracks require a one piece suit or a two piece that zips together. Also, you may need a chest/spine protector. Those run 75 to 100 depending on what brand you get. Take your time, resist the urge to "race". that is not what you are there for. Slow down, focus on the lines of the track, be smooth, entry and exit speeds. Listen to your instructors. It is a ball of fun especially if you can go with other people you know. I love riding with guys who skill levels are higher than mine, it helps to increase your own skills. Most of all, have fun and be safe.

surf your local Craigslist, very likely you will find once worn suits for 50% less or more vs brand new. I opted for a 2-pc (360-degree zip) so easier to get in/out of plus you can go with jacket only when pants are not called for. I am partial to ALPINESTARS for track gear

If buying USED is not for you, hard to beat this brand new pair of pants for $99: TEKNIC CHICANE LEATHER PANTS

TEKNIC-PANTS-CHICANE-CLOSEOUT-2T.jpg

surf your local Craigslist, very likely you will find once worn suits for 50% less or more vs brand new. I opted for a 2-pc (360-degree zip) so easier to get in/out of plus you can go with jacket only when pants are not called for. I am partial to ALPINESTARS for track gear

If buying USED is not for you, hard to beat this brand new pair of pants for $99: TEKNIC CHICANE LEATHER PANTS

TEKNIC-PANTS-CHICANE-CLOSEOUT-2T.jpg

WOW great deal... they just returned my call and they are sold out. Oh well I've still got at least 4 months before I can dream of riding :rofl: gotta love the snow.

Another track addict in the making! Be careful, once you start you can't hardly stop it's VERY addictive!

Also, make sure you run some good quality fresh tires - as important as gear. Q2's are hard to beat!

Soooo...who has the "real good" deals on leather street/track pants? Cmon I know at leaset 7 of you folks know where the hookup is.

When I am browsing, I visit: Competition Accessories, NewEnough, Motosport, Motorcycle Superstore, Motorcycle Closeouts, SportbikeTrackGear

Prices do not vary that much among vendors and even if they do, almost all of them do PRICE MATCHes anyway.

Definitely hit the track up if you can, your riding skills will increase tenfold. I went to a Reg Pridmore school(classrides.com) over at Gingerman last year and it was a really fun time. Definitely the slowest and least intimidating group of folks I've ridden with since taking up the track habit. Reg’s classes are definitely aimed at street riding and the track had a very wide spectrum of bikes out. He is putting some classes on in June if you’re interested.

Another track addict in the making! Be careful, once you start you can't hardly stop it's VERY addictive!

Also, make sure you run some good quality fresh tires - as important as gear. Q2's are hard to beat!

Also +1 on the tires, have seen a few people come out on the wrong rubber and pay the price.

I'm also a big fan of the Q2's, those tires are plenty good enough until your aproaching novice racer status and they last pretty well for the level of grip they give you.

Back