03Busa to GSXR 1000 swing arm

jimmyg

Registered
Hey Guys I was just wanting to get some advice on a swing are conversion to a 1000 swing arm. Know anyone someone who did it and if so hom much of an improvement was it. What year model gsxr 1000 swing arm was used? I love to do track days and just want a better handeling bike.

Not sure why you would want to do that. I'm sure there are other ways of improving handling with the stock suspension, like upgraded forks and shock.

I havent heard of the GSXR1000 arm.....However, the GSXR600 swingarm will bolt up very easily..
bowdown.gif

FWIW, if you have no luck with changing the arm, you might look into a $39.99 Schnitz +1" link.

I'm going to put one on my bike but not until I get back from Indianapolis. 1000 miles of interstate calls for a set up that's happier in a straight line.
I'll be able to give a full report then.

Yea I'v seen those before know any one who went 1" up. Does it feel more flickable?
I went 1" up and the difference is NIGHT and DAY!!!!!
way better entry my corner spped is improved dramaticly and now pass plenty of bikes up the twisties
biggrin.gif
I seen some +1 dog bones that I considered getting. I think thats what u are talking about right? Is that 1" up in the rear from the stock height?

Recently went +1". Didn't think I would feel much of a difference but you can right away. Eventually you get used to it and it does make the bike feel more nimble going side to side.

+1 on the +1. Makes the bike FAR easier to handle. Rides more like a litre bike now though certainly not the same. Plus, you'll never drag pegs again!

Also, if you're a heavy guy, rebuild your suspension front and rear with RaceTech or Ohlins gear.

--Wag--

Hey Guys I was just wanting to get some advice on a swing are conversion to a 1000 swing arm. Know anyone someone who did it and if so hom much of an improvement was it. What year model gsxr 1000 swing arm was used? I love to do track days and just want a better handeling bike.
You must use the 2002 gsx-r 1000 swing arm with the 2002 gsx-r 600 linkage and the 1k shock. in addition you must also use the 600 dog bones.
Yes you can do it and VERY VERY few ppl have but it is worth it if you do it right!!!
If done correctly the swap will take about 1 1/4 inches off the busa's wheel base bringing it closer to the magic 55" wheelbase.(stock the bsua is about 58") The 600 dog bones will also raise the rear so you will be sitting about 1" higher up.
The next step after that for better handling is to "rake" the front for a faster turn in, you will need to lower the front about 1/4" to 1/2" which seems to be the magic # for the busa( you will need a aftermarket handle bar mount for this). After you do this the bike will handle just like a gsx-r 1000 with a heavy set rider ( 190lbs.)
You may also run a 190/55 on the rear for just a bit more ride hieght. (You can also run 1.1 springs in the front for a better spring rate)
I have riden quite a few who have done this and I will tell you it feels amazing when you fly past a 1k in the turns and they are trying to catch you and figure out if that is really a busa that just past them.

Back