Swing Arm shortening

markhurd101

Registered
Fellow Busa Owners, Hello

I am new here so please forgive the following question, since it goes against all norms for the culture. I want to know if the swing arm from a GSX 1000 will bolt up to the Busa, and can it handle the torque produced by the beast?

I am entertaining the cut in leangth of the swing arm to facilitate a more agile bike. I saw the RAD Graves Busa and I am really interested in taking my bike in that direction. So any advice would be appriciated.

Mark

You know the busa engine will fit in a gixxer frame, carbontek in the uk did with a turbo no less and made I think 415hp!

sweet sounds like fun!
biggrin.gif

There are pics and specs on their site, the turbo in question was from an Evolution (Mitsubishi) and wheelied every gear with throttle only! The only down side was the transition from off to on boost, you go from mundane o OH Sheeat instantly, wasnt a smooth tranfer.They sold the bike at a very reasonable price!

Fellow Busa Owners, Hello

I am new here so please forgive the following question, since it goes against all norms for the culture. I want to know if the swing arm from a GSX 1000 will bolt up to the Busa, and can it handle the torque produced by the beast?

I am entertaining the cut in leangth of the swing arm to facilitate a more agile bike. I saw the RAD Graves Busa and I am really interested in taking my bike in that direction. So any advice would be appriciated.

Mark
You are playing with fire IMHO. Suzuki might know a thing or two about how the motorcycle was engineered. I'd leave well enough alone and leave the stock arm in place.

If you want a little better agility, why not consider raising the forks 5-10mm in the triples, then replacing the stock wheels with something light?

there are definetly better solutions then shortening the wheel base... The reason why the busa is the king in the quarter is largly because of its wheel base. If you want to go more power down the road, it sure will be hard to put it down...

On the other hand.... take some time with your bike. The Busa can handle pretty freaking good in the hands of a good rider, let me tell ya...
biggrin.gif

You could also raise the back of the bike, go with light weight carbon wheels, and she will handle even better.

CLoud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111641386 -->

the gsxr1k swingarm will fit with minor modifications. I thought long and hard about doing this, even ended up buying a swingarm to do it with.
Then I remembered that I am in Fl and really have no reason to improve cornering at the expense of applying throttle right now. If this was a track only bike then it would still be a consideration. However, I still pass 90% of the 600's and liters around here in the curves so I would suggest putting your time, money, and effort in some riding/racing schools and just improve your personal skills with what you have.
If you want a track weapon, there are better ways to do it, namely go get an 05 GSXR1K and be happy!

Guys

Thank you for all of the great info! I think I will work the smaller mods and goto some advanced riding schools to overcome the percieved shortfalls in the corners. I am so use to the way my VFR 800 handles that the Busa at times gets me frustrated, but from what you guys are saying I need to look @ the simple before the complex.

Mark

Back