What does a faulty tensioner sound like?

OB_Quincy

Registered
I just noticed s sublte rattling noise when my bike is in very low revs. Just a little over idle. Is that the tensioner, and if not what is that noise. It is a 99 and the all the recalls have been done including the tensioner.

I can also reproduce the noise if I listen carefully and rev the engine and just as its on its way back to idle I hear if briefly.

I am scared stiff.

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with being scared because if is faulty in time it will sound like valves hitting piston tops. The degree of noise and damage will depend on the engine RPM at the time but, it will be ugly. Suzuki has had tensioner problems ever since I can remember and manual tensioners have always been recommended for racing applications. A relatively small number ever fail but,I for one do not want a Suzuki shop mechanic trying to piece back together my near totaled engine.

I have the same noise! I am getting a manual tensioner to see if it stops. Does it sound like marbles in the gas tank at times?

Every Busa I've heard with a bad tenioner sounds the same way you described yours. I wouldn't even ride it around the block if were My bike.

Jay at APE(American Performance Engineering)can send you a cure for that and you could have it the next day if you red lable it.(Very smart investment)

(800)842-1825 Jay or John

A faulty tensioner makes no sound due the motor will make loud piston to valve noise.
There is no such thing a faulty one only one that works and one that does not.

To check for cam chain tensioner noise best time is first start in the morning.The noise will be on the upper right side of the engine. You will here a couple of other noise, the clutch plate area will make noise and the way to check for that is if you pull in your clutch lever the noise will go away and the second noise you might hear is when the electronic fuel pump is first pumping the gas through the lines and that should go away with the first couple of seconds. If the chain tensioner is weak or not working properly the sound will go away after warm up and my guess is that the chain has picked up some oil and has warmed up to it's normal operating temp and the cam tensioner has warmed up enough to put more pressure on the chain block.

Mine starts making the marbles sound AFTER it is warmed up at low rpm, at initial take off and low rpm decelerating.

Quincy:

You have what you think you have. Mine went a couiple of weeks ago. Valve train rattle when cold that was noticeable when the throttle was blipped lightly, when it was rolled on real slow and when decelerating at low RPM. Mine went away when it warmed up, but got worse with every ride. I agree with Frank Adams, get the bike to the shop, don't ride it any more than you have to. This is now the third tensioner for me. Problem is fixed for now in my case.

Good luck.

It is simply a ratcheting sound, like a 1/2 inch drive ratchet. Not a ticking sound. Not a knocking sound.
J R Hammock

Back