What do you guys think of this as a first bike

O

outtahand

I'm liking the 636 part, even though I liked it in black so much better... anyhoo
I'm thinking the price isn't ridiculous if everything he says is true.
But there's all the pretty plastic.

2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 - $5200
Bike has 5000 miles on it and was used to go back and forth to work. It has always been garaged and still has full kawasaki warranty on it until 2009. Has carbon fiber exhaust, sliders, hide a way flush blinkers, tinted wind shield. Bike has never been down.

0102060116000103062008090411db90ee00fbf42336008bc0.jpg

Sounds like a sweet deal to me! Jump on it if thats the kind of bike your after:beerchug: As far as the first bike thing goes, this is where my opinion differs from alot of others.......i say buy what you want the first time around, THERE ALL FAST ENOUGH TO KILL YOU!!! just my :2cents: ??? Go for it :thumbsup:

Buying a sport bike as a first bike is a bad idea because there is a learning curve to riding; moreover, it takes time to develope the reflexes to handle a sports bike. We lost three people at work on 600cc sport bikes; one had a wife and a new baby girl--- they were all new riders. A sports bike is a graduation present to a person who has learned to handle a series of lesser bikes over a peorid of time. Give your ego the brakes. learn on a good used smaller bike or die trying to ride a fire breathing monster.:rulez:

KBB suggested retail is $5975 so $5200 is a right fair deal it looks. 636 is a good sport bike, got a little more low end grunt than the average 600 and plenty of power everywhere else.
Just use some common sense and you'll be fine on it. Main safety problem new riders have on sport bikes is when they go riding with their buddies who have been riding for a while. Ride your own ride and focus on learning, not keeping up. They'll wait at the intersections and turn offs, if they don't, keep the bike and get some different riding buddies.
Have fun, ride safe.:thumbsup:

P.S. -- After I get to thinking. If your not a new rider, nevermind. It's still a good deal on a 636.

Last edited:
Take your time, take a course and you will be fine. Do not RUSH anything. :beerchug:

How big/tall are you, or the one getting this ?

Sounds like a good deal, still alot of bike, but I agree with Devldog.

Buy it. Get what you want the first time. No sense in wasting money on something that you really don't want to be riding. Just ride with common sense and give respect to the power and you'll be fine. I would sudjest taking a riders course, though. I know guys that have ridden for 3 and 4 years and they said they learned stuff there that helped make them better riders. It's not just for beginners. It can help anyone.

Just use some common sense and you'll be fine on it.

I don't have any experience riding on the street yet, still practicing in parking lots.
How much would common sense balance lack of riding experience on a bike with more "low end grunt" as you say?

The bike is at Camp Pendleton, saw it on Craigslist for San Diego, if anyone else wants to got for it.
Bikes seem to be generally cheaper and in better condition than those in the Los Angeles area.

KBB suggested retail is $5975 so $5200 is a right fair deal it looks. 636 is a good sport bike, got a little more low end grunt than the average 600 and plenty of power everywhere else.
Just use some common sense and you'll be fine on it. Main safety problem new riders have on sport bikes is when they go riding with their buddies who have been riding for a while. Ride your own ride and focus on learning, not keeping up. They'll wait at the intersections and turn offs, if they don't, keep the bike and get some different riding buddies.

P.S. -- After I get to thinking. If your not a new rider, nevermind. It's still a good deal on a 636.

Yup, what he says + go take an MSF course. If you pay attention, you'll come away with knowing more about countersteering and braking than ever... and that's a good thing. Ride safe and do your own thing until your skills develop. That 636 can kill you just as fast as any Busa.

I don't have any experience riding on the street yet, still practicing in parking lots.
How much would common sense balance lack of riding experience on a bike with more "low end grunt" as you say?

The bike is at Camp Pendleton, saw it on Craigslist for San Diego, if anyone else wants to got for it.
Bikes seem to be generally cheaper and in better condition than those in the Los Angeles area.

That's what the MSF or other motorcycle riding courses are for. They're usually a weekend (3 day) course that goes over how to handle the bike and gives you good tips on how to ride defensively and keep yourself out of trouble.

that is a sweet bike and a good price. i hope to find a deal like that when im ready for another one.

Ride your own ride and focus on learning, not keeping up. They'll wait at the intersections and turn offs, if they don't, keep the bike and get some different riding buddies.

That right there is some darn good advice everyone should listen too!! :bowdown:

Buying a sport bike as a first bike is a bad idea because there is a learning curve to riding; moreover, it takes time to develope the reflexes to handle a sports bike. We lost three people at work on 600cc sport bikes; one had a wife and a new baby girl--- they were all new riders. A sports bike is a graduation present to a person who has learned to handle a series of lesser bikes over a peorid of time. Give your ego the brakes. learn on a good used smaller bike or die trying to ride a fire breathing monster.:rulez:

That is exactly the right advice. I am 59 and have ridden all my adult life. If I was looking for a starter bike now-a-days I would get a smallish cruiser with good re-sale and figure to ride it at least one season. You HAVE TOO MANY IDIOTS ON THE ROAD TO BE LEARNING ON A ROCKET. :welcome:

+1 on the MSF course.

I own an 05 636. It is a very fast very responsive motorcycle.
If you lack riding experience I would suggest keeping the revs below 7000 rpm, till you get some seat time. Redline is 15,500. This is a no nonsense supersport racing bike.

With that said, I love this bike for twistie road riding.

Once you become familiar with this style of bike it is safer than most other bikes, simply because it handles so well. You would be hard pressed to exceed the limits of this bikes handling.

Here are the specs

2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja 636 - Specs

I would go ride say an SV650 before you buy anything.. really a fun bike with lots of torque and relatively easy to ride.. The low end power is great around town. I finally got to ride one here about 3 weeks ago and I would not mind having one for around town.. I would be a lot easier to stay out of trouble on too..

Back