What Chain to Buy

kevin8105

Registered
Ok, I need to buy a new chain and have read here that the EK ZZZ is the way to go. My question is how many links should I buy.. 120? and what size 520? Also, one last question. I am not sure of what sprockets I have on the bike now, but will that affect the length of the chain i need to buy? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

By the way, I currently have a swingarm extension I am removing so counting the current links is not an option. :whistle:

Sprocket size does change the length of chain, so would a stretch if you have it. I went with the EK ZZZ 120 link, 530 is what you need. My bike does not have any stretch but I did go +4 on the rear sprocket and I still cut 3 links off. Hit up Justin from Honda East, he has them in stock and sells them for a good price. He can make sure you get what you need. Do yo have a chain breaker and master link tool?

That is one of the best chains on the market. If your stock length 120 is fine. I believe stock is 114 links??
You want a 530 not a 520. Stock gearing for gen 1 is 17/40 and gen 2 18/43. Unless you change dramatically or extend it a 120 link will be fine.
Get a rivet style master link not a clip type.

Thanks guys! I do not have the tool so I will probably need o buy/borrow one. Does the chain not come with the masterlink? I will have to buy this seperately?

Gen2 has a 114 or 116 link chain(can't remember this morning). Having a few extra links is never a bad thing anyway, as well as an extra master link. A clip type master will work fine, but a press on one is more secure when assembled correctly.
The Busa also uses a 530 series chain(width), so you must have that to fit the sprockets you have now.
Going down to 520 series(thinner and lighter)is a bad idea, as it is not as strong and can't handle the torque and hp of big displacement bikes.
EK makes good chains too, but there are other good brands.
Just stay away from ebay cheapos. You never know what you are getting. If it breaks you have expensive damage to replace, and that's if you don't crash in the process. Chains aren't a place to cut corners.:thumbsup:

That is one of the best chains on the market. If your stock length 120 is fine. I believe stock is 114 links??
You want a 530 not a 520. Stock gearing for gen 1 is 17/40 and gen 2 18/43. Unless you change dramatically or extend it a 120 link will be fine.
Get a rivet style master link not a clip type.

Beat me to it:laugh:

Sprocket size does change the length of chain, so would a stretch if you have it. I went with the EK ZZZ 120 link, 530 is what you need. My bike does not have any stretch but I did go +4 on the rear sprocket and I still cut 3 links off. Hit up Justin from Honda East, he has them in stock and sells them for a good price. He can make sure you get what you need. Do yo have a chain breaker and master link tool?

Yeah, he found that out the hard way:laugh:
A +3 rear/46 tooth is as big as you can go on a stock length chain.

Good advice here! The tool to secure the rivet on that type of master link is not real expensive, and is a good investment. I think I spent about $60 on mine.

P.

Thanks, all! I am ordering a chain, adjustment blocks and break/press tool from Justin today. Appreciate all of the help. I have never installed a new chain before as you can tell. Are there any tips anyone wants to shoot my way? How do you know how many links on top and bottom (slack at top or bottom). I bet there is probably a walk through on here somewhere eh?

Service manuals for Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycles, free download of service manuals for your GSXR bikes

The manual may help you, although I don't think it shows how to replace a chain it will show you how to adjust it.
A new chain will stretch and you will have to adjust it again, possibly several times. Whatever chain tool you buy should have instructions, but I'm sure there is a "how to" walk through here somewhere.
It's good to learn how to adjust it yourself too, as it should be adjusted with YOU sitting on the bike(your weight compresses the spring and tightens the chain).
An extra set of hands helps, but from sitting on the bike you can lean down and feel the slack on the lower side of the chain. It should have about 1.5" of up/down slack. If it's too much or not enough, hop off and adjust accordingly, then sit on it again and recheck the slack.
If your chain is too tight it will hinder the correct operation of the rear shock. Resulting in not only a bumpy ride, but poor and unsafe handling.
If you crush the rivet head on a press style master link too much you can ruin it. So slow and careful.

Correction, the manual does show you how to install a new chain and add/remove links.
It is 114 links too.
The axle nut should be torqued to 72.5 ft lbs when you're done.

JMHO-- I wouldn't trust a clip masterlink on any road bike. That is for a dirtbike that will prob not be going over 60 mph ever.

EK makes a great chain tool. Have one and loved it. About as much $$$ as the chain is gonna cost. Very expensive but a good lifetime investment. Yes the masterlink come with the EK ZZZ (great chain never stretches, strong and still lighter than average chain by a bit). You can get a masterlink with pins that are fastened by small nuts on the side plate. Easy way to connect but if you are going to break, might as well rivet the pin heads and do it the safe way

BTW, the ZZZ has a wonderful foolproof system for riveting so you will get the perfect tightness on the masterlink no guessing.

Heres's a link to a how to i did fo chain and sprocket replacement. SoorY, it's my 14 but you will get the gist of how the ZZZ goes together and the chain tool is there too. lots a pics.

ZX-14 Forums

Back