What causes front tire to cups?

(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 19 2006,18:34)
(Quasar @ Sep. 19 2006,15
super.gif
)
(mikeo @ Sep. 19 2006,16:35) All front tires will cup. All the reasons covered can accelerate the cupping.
Unfortunately, your statement is 100% incorrect. All front tires do NOT cup. Some do and some don't.

I've had PLENTY of front tires in my 31 years of riding that didn't cup all the way down to below their wear markers. My front Pirelli Diablo Corsas and my Sportec M1's did NOT cup on my Hayabusa, tire after tire. There are a number of reasons why some tires cup and others do not.
And those reasons would be?
I already gave one reason they will wear/cup on one side before another, so that one doesn't require repeating.

Some of the other reasons are the actual composition of the tire and the style/shape of its tread pattern, the air pressure that's not maintained at an appropriate pressure or maintained at inconsistent air pressures, type of braking you apply, the type of riding you do, lots of long wheelies where the front tire has had a chance to slow or stop, the type of road surface you ride on regularly (rain groves verses smooth asphalt or concrete), front suspension issues (bent front forks, unequal damping or rebound), dragging brakes, bad wheel bearings, etc... there's more, but that should give you a fair idea.

My last tire cupped. The one before that did not. The one I have now has not yet but the jury is still out on that, of course.

Some tires cup and others don't.  I suspect that all of the above are factors but that composition of the tire combined with one or more of those factors has a lot to do with it.  

--Wag--

Tire Pressure. Important that you keep it at as close to 42 Lbs as possible. Thats the manual rating.

Always wondered that anyway!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All my tires always wear more on the left sides.  
Lamb has never had a cupping problem on 'missile'.  Although the twisties just burn the edges off the tires b4 lamb gets anywher near the cupping stage near the center of the tire!!

(Lamb busa @ Sep. 20 2006,03:31) Always wondered that anyway!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All my tires always wear more on the left sides.  
Lamb has never had a cupping problem on 'missile'.  Although the twisties just burn the edges off the tires b4 lamb gets anywher near the cupping stage near the center of the tire!!
They wear on the left side because of the crown of the roads. Roads aren't flat, they are crowned so there is water run off.. therefore the left side of the tire gets worn down first.

(05 Busa LE @ Sep. 19 2006,06:17) Man ... I check my tire pressure before each ride. Seems like a pain, but worth it. Maybe I'm a little OCD, too  
tounge.gif
Ditto! I never leave the garage until I check/adjust tire pressure! MC tires typically will loose 1 or more PSI per week.

How can a tire wear from the curve of the road when the road tapers for a long time from the center line to the end of the width of the road. How about a bent frame or swing arm? That is like saying the earth is flat you look out to the horizon and do you see a curve?

Cupping is cup ping. Take a paper cup, drag your finger over the ridge that folds the cup in a circle. Now mark that spot. Lay the cup horizontal to the table top and roll the cup. Watch the mark come around. Did it move in a circle or did that mark sort of hop like one m after another... mmmmmmmmm See how it never rolls but makes that U kind of UUUUUUUUUU U got the idea?

Now, like a stage coach wheel's rolling backwards, you watch the cowboy movie, that cupping phenom spreads evenly around the tire. Cup run ith over, she has big boobs. House that sound for theory is wear the edge of my tire is the earth is curved and so is the worn spot on my tie year. :laugh:

(CAT3 @ Sep. 18 2006,22:48) Looking over my Busa this morning, I noticed the left/outside tread of the front tire is cupping. *WTF?
You need to have your suspension adjusted...it is similar to having worn shocks
on the front of your car...in a turn if your front end isn't set properly, the tire is rebounding
off the pavement causing the cupping *
wink.gif

Damit! I hate to agree with Rich but I have to on this one :poke:

First thing to look at is your rebound.

Mine was due to the tire being mounted backwards. Hope that helps!

Tires will run just fine in either direction. Only reason they have directional arrows is to properly displace water from the tread design.

Hope that helps!

Motorcycle Tire Wear

"CUPPING:
Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping (see pictures, but we will use the more common term "cupping" here), is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern. It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts. It merely shows that your tire is indeed gripping the road when you make turns "

The stock tires on my katana wore down to almost nothing with no cupping whatsoever. The M3's I replaced them with began cupping after only around 2000 miles. The pilot powers on the busa wore down with no cupping as well. Dont really know what that tells me but....???

Back