What Air filter do you recommend for dusty enviroments?

dabbott78

Registered
all right fellow busa owners I have a 2011 busa and have some mods like brocks ct single exhaust and pc5 with autotune. my question is this I am driving my bike up and down a dirt road and it is really sandy and my air filter is taking a hit. I'm not really sure what filter options are out there for this application. I know the stock filter is a great filter but is there a one that I can reuse or clean that will be as good or better than stock? I am not looking for hp I just want the best filter to keep dust and sand out of the motor. I am open to any mods, some might do in this situation. Ideas are more than welcome.

This one will do fine and is cleanable and reuseable.

K&N part SU-1308 information

Price listed is retail. In sure Justin from Honda East Toledo or Tim from Pashnit can do better on that.
Send them a pm.

In fact I think maybe sixpack577 had one for sale a bit ago?
May want to check with him.

Arguement is still unsettled as to which aftermarket filter is best but the K&N will do fine for what you need.

Price listed is retail. In sure Justin from Honda East Toledo or Tim from Pashnit can do better on that.
Send them a pm.

Arguement is still unsettled as to which aftermarket filter is best but the K&N will do fine for what you need.

Thanks Saiid:beerchug:, and yes, I do still have a gen2 K&N air filter for sale.
$30 +shipping, clean with around 10k miles on it.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/products-classifieds/167389-gen2-k-n-air-filter.html

As long as you check it every 5000 miles you will be ok with a K&N or a BMC<----- which I use and I live off a gravel road.

Send them a pm.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I use to work for a dealer.. when people trade in there stuff we check all that.. IF your on a lot of dusty roads use a factory type filter.. K&N is great for the street same with BMC.. you will wreck your motor with the high flow filters..

I don't know chit but I would stick with the factory and increase the frequency of the change, but in reality I don't take my Busa trail riding :laugh:

All the K&N hate stuff is all crap, I used a K&N on my KLR 650 3 days at 350 miles a day on dusty dirt roads in Mexico the KLR just stopped , Yep the filter was plugged 100 % good thing we passed a river a few miles back. Washed filter in river oiled with some motor oil and off we went, No dust got in the engine , We looked down as far as we could see with a flex light...
Mike

anyone know if they make a pipercross filter for us? I've been hearing that they tend to do a bit better with fine particulates...no personal experience though

The caveat to K&N is that you need to keep up on your maintenance in dusty conditions. If you check / clean and oil it often it will be fine. If you dont think your up to the maintenance part just stick with a paper filter.

We aren't talking about clumps of dirt going in engine for goodness sakes.
Lil bit of dust ain't hurting a mighty bus!

We aren't talking about clumps of dirt going in engine for goodness sakes.
Lil bit of dust ain't hurting a mighty bus!

A little bit of dust isn't that big of a deal. When your stuck behind a soccer mom in her Yukon Denali on a mile or two stretch of gravel road in the Oregon summer its a totally different situation. Ill take a little hit on air flow in those kind of conditions over relying on a rechargeable filter every time.

I use K&N on my truck and Busa. I always have there brand spray cleaner and oil on my shelf for servicing, and it is nice to tell them you only use their product to service the filter if you have to call in a warranty issue. K&N has a no hassle warranty and stands behind their product. I had one shrink on me after 12 years, I just sent pics to them and they mailed me a new one. The reusable ones are not too much trouble to "recharge," getting the filter out of the bike is more trouble than washing the filter.

As far as horse power gains, there are mixed reviews.

Here is the deal, I had a k&n on my 06 busa did good all in all, but I noticed that there was some oily residue that was coating the intake and the throttle butterflies, now I know it could be that maybe I got carried away with the oil but, I also noticed that some sandy oily grit coating the intake. I cleaned it on a regular schedule. like every 1500 to 3000 miles interval. I think K&N makes great filters but, in this case I am gonna look into other options. I am very good with paying attention to detail, and I maybe doing something wrong during cleaning and oiling the filter. but I have ran these filters for more than 10yrs on various built motors ranging from 300hp to 500hp with no problems but they arent my busa and my busa is like my daily driver. I have notice that some guys that use them on 4wheelers and have a "sock" type prefilter as wrapped around the actual filter. I have thought about making something based off of this prefilter idea.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas

Here is the deal, I had a k&n on my 06 busa did good all in all, but I noticed that there was some oily residue that was coating the intake and the throttle butterflies, now I know it could be that maybe I got carried away with the oil but, I also noticed that some sandy oily grit coating the intake. I cleaned it on a regular schedule. like every 1500 to 3000 miles interval. I think K&N makes great filters but, in this case I am gonna look into other options. I am very good with paying attention to detail, and I maybe doing something wrong during cleaning and oiling the filter. but I have ran these filters for more than 10yrs on various built motors ranging from 300hp to 500hp with no problems but they arent my busa and my busa is like my daily driver. I have notice that some guys that use them on 4wheelers and have a "sock" type prefilter as wrapped around the actual filter. I have thought about making something based off of this prefilter idea.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas

The "sock" over the filter was designed for racing in sand or mud.
To keep excess dirt and mud out of the filter, and making it quick and easy to have a clean filter again.
I used them in MX, then started using panty hose as a cheap alternative. It worked just as well, and at a fraction of the cost.
You could try the same thing. Slide the stock filter into the leg of pantyhose and cut it off at the right length.
It would serve the same purpose, not hurt the air flow, and keep sand from getting to the filter itself.
Just a thought.:beerchug:

I like that idea Sixpack, thanks for that idea, I am leaning on ordering a pipercross filter, and may just add some panty hose to top it off. I was gonna to just buy another stock filter but was quoted close to $50 for it.
thanks guys

I'd stay with the stock filter. It will trap all of the dust but need to be replaced periodically. I was a HUGE K&N fan when I had my snowmobile. But, after using them I always had a very fine particulate that was getting through the filters. I couldn't see it on the intakes but if I ran my finger along the inside of the Mikuni carb intake I could feel fine grit. I stopped using them and haven't since then. Stock filters will trap dust particles very well. Good Luck!

Back