Went to court today

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
Had my court date today for the speeding ticket I got last month. That was the one where I was taking the wife to the airport in the Accord, and got nailed for 80 in a 65.

The funny thing about today is how they handle traffic court. In our county it's just like a regular courtroom and you wait your turn before the judge. In the county I went to today, they do it completely different.

I walk up and notice they have a metal detector at the door. By habit, I've got my not so small knife in my back pocket...ooops. I turn around, and hide my knife in a snow pile outside since I'm parked 3 blocks away. Yes it was still there when I got out. I go through the airport-like security, sign in with the baliff, and wait for my name to be called. Now is when I notice the difference.

The Assistant DA's are calling people one-by-one, and offering them deals right there in the lobby. No judge or anything. If you want the deal, then you take it and you have up to 60 days to pay your fine. If you don't want it, and want to challenge the charge, then you'll have to wait 6-8 weeks for a court date where the officer will show up to give his statement. This was totally new to me, but it's very efficient.

My deal:
Previous speeding ticket - 82/65 in Dec 2002 (4 points, $172.00)
This sppeding ticket - 80/65 in Dec 2004 (4 points, $181.00)

Offer: Reduced to "Defective Speedometer" , only 2 points and $156.20. Not required to show repair receipt either.

cool.gif
Hell yeah I took it!

Sorry for the rant...just wanted to share.

Nice work! I wish this was the way it worked here, All though my FD ID will usually get me a courtesy warning!
smile.gif

Good call taking the deal.

yep, it has always just been dollars and cents, and now maybe a little conditioning with the screening, who are they afraid of ? the people that support them ? maybe they should be.

Nice work! I wish this was the way it worked here, All though my FD ID will usually get me a courtesy warning!
smile.gif

Good call taking the deal.
I thought maybe I'd get a break since I wore my County Underwater Rescue Team jacket, but I don't think it made a difference. I was the only one there with a bright red jacket with the maltese cross on the back though.
laugh.gif

I went through that on a ticket I got in Cobb County GA once. Instead of a deal though, they simply dropped one of my charges ( Expired Tag Decal... had the decal but hadn't put it on.) and reduced my No Insurance to No Proof Of Insurance (card was at home on my desk with my tag decal... Dang it!
laugh.gif
). Got out for $25... no court costs or anything.

The prosecutor was calling everyone up one by one and giving deals though. Some poor guy that got popped haulin' tail through a school zone on a crotch rocket got hammered though. The judge cut him a tiny bit of slack since it was his first speeding ticket, but still pretty much cornholed him for doin' it in a school zone...

Hope if I ever get popped it's in a place where they offer good deals!
wink.gif
Congrats on luckin' slam out there Jim.
super.gif

I got my deal offered through the mail for my car speeding ticket. As I've said before elsewhere on this board, nowadays most tickets are about raising revenue for local government. Unless you did something really dumb (like the guy speeding in a school zone) it seems only fair they should bargain them down to save you aggravation with your insurance etc.

Personally, I'm in favor of a system where I could pay in advance for the tickets I KNOW I'll be getting in the future. That way I can be booking it down the road and the police can just smile and wave at me and deduct it from my account
smile.gif
 Kind of like the automatic charges for toll roads...

I got popped Jan 04--- Radar said 65 in a 45--my bad-----it was 0505 am on a perfect straightaway
NO other traffic..anywhere..dark on the way to work and i know my speedo was optomistic..so just driving along----he's in the bushes with his lights off----no break no offers----hundred bucks plus or so.... makes up for my Motorcycle speedings.. There was a time i said to self--if i get a ticket it's Ok
1971 to present no tickets on two wheels...and i don't [PUTT]
cool.gif
and lucky

Dang, it sounds like a good deal, but do you have any idea what 2 points will do for your insurance premiums? In the long run it might have been better to have hired an attorney and fought it. In the past, I've learned not to go to court, especially traffic court, without an attorney.

Here's my story:
Got a ticket for going 54 on a 35....
Got a lawyer (You know... all those letters you start getting in the mail after your ticket?)
Paid the lawyer $59.00
NO POINTS, NO FINE, NO "TICKET", a few months later I got a letter from my lawyer saying "Congratulations, your case has been dismissed"

Back