Weird problem

GSXTacy

Mr. January
Donating Member
Registered
OK, when I have the bike on stands and let it idle to lube the chain, there is a weird jump in the chain. Its not a consistant jump or hitch like it was a bad chain, but I replaced it anyway (and sprokets). Replacing the chain helped but its still there. A friend of mine whos knows the bike in and out....he has 5 of them, checked it out and is about 95% sure is a worn clutch basket. There is no loss of performance or anything like that, she still runs strong as ever. 26K miles on an 05. Anyone ever had this problem?

If it surges while riding, you could have a bent shaft. Possibly check the bearings in the sprocket carrier hub, as well as the cushion rubbers. It could be the clutch basket, or the hub.

I'm not really sure of what you mean when you describe the "jump" in the chain. Do you mean that if you grab the chain in a particular spot that you can move it forwards and backwards without any resistance? Did you try putting the transmission into first gear and then checking for the "jump"? I would try bumping the tranny into 1st or 6th gear and rolling the wheel to the point where the chain becomes taut, and then check for the condition you described. That will help you isolate the problem.

I have never yet had a bike that did NOT do that. I wouldn't worry about it. If your chain is properly tensioned and aligned, you're fine.

--Wag--

Back