Weather Alarmists

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
I've just watched a program on TV where there was discussion regarding global weather changes...

People were going on about how hot it has become and how water is disappearing and how oceans are rising...

I'm only in my mid '50s but I recall huge changes in weather my whole life, one summer it will be hot and dry and the next one cool and wet...same as winters, some winters we got crazy snow while others we got very little....growing up on a farm, we were pretty in tune with the weather and I recall more than a few times bailing hay when it was very hot or clearing snow when it was very cold....nothing much different these days.....

I remember the heat waves in the '60s and '70s with pictures of fire hydrants in the big cities being opened up so people (mostly kids) could cool off. There were the power black outs and brown outs all the time due to the heat.

Everyone thinks water is a renewable resource and lots of people waste it, We see lots of pictures of homes with sprinklers running 24/7...that might have flown 50 or so yrs ago when there were fewer homes but now with so many single dwelling homes with multiple bathrooms and such, water is being used at 4 times the rate it used to be. That alone will dry up reservoirs.

As for oceans rising, I watch a few of those archeological shows where they uncover many lost cities which are now under 100feet of ocean....that tells me oceans have been rising for thousands of years.

There must be lots of money in raising the alarm for all these people to be jumping on the band wagon.

There are far fewer active volcanoes in modern times, just one actively erupting volcano puts out more hydrocarbons (according to the scientists) than mankind has put out since we starting recording history.

The summers now are nothing like we had when we were growing up.
We used to get long, hot summers.
Now we get short, warm, occasionally hot days, summer.
We've had 3 summers in a row now that have been very average where we haven't swapped over to summer bed and clothes.
But the more you read about it, the weather has been cycling like this for centuries

Well, it (is) kinda hot here…
9ACCC88F-0876-4939-9790-98FF2C937C14.jpeg

I've just watched a program on TV where there was discussion regarding global weather changes...

People were going on about how hot it has become and how water is disappearing and how oceans are rising...

I'm only in my mid '50s but I recall huge changes in weather my whole life, one summer it will be hot and dry and the next one cool and wet...same as winters, some winters we got crazy snow while others we got very little....growing up on a farm, we were pretty in tune with the weather and I recall more than a few times bailing hay when it was very hot or clearing snow when it was very cold....nothing much different these days.....

I remember the heat waves in the '60s and '70s with pictures of fire hydrants in the big cities being opened up so people (mostly kids) could cool off. There were the power black outs and brown outs all the time due to the heat.

Everyone thinks water is a renewable resource and lots of people waste it, We see lots of pictures of homes with sprinklers running 24/7...that might have flown 50 or so yrs ago when there were fewer homes but now with so many single dwelling homes with multiple bathrooms and such, water is being used at 4 times the rate it used to be. That alone will dry up reservoirs.

As for oceans rising, I watch a few of those archeological shows where they uncover many lost cities which are now under 100feet of ocean....that tells me oceans have been rising for thousands of years.

There must be lots of money in raising the alarm for all these people to be jumping on the band wagon.

There are far fewer active volcanoes in modern times, just one actively erupting volcano puts out more hydrocarbons (according to the scientists) than mankind has put out since we starting recording history.
Unfortunately, the reality of climate change is a fact. I know many people are only in a position to perceive this anecdotally, but as an architect, we are dealing with a rapidly declining situation that is scary. A lot of the "sunken cities" we know about sunk due to tectonic shifting and movement. While ice is only around 2% of the water on earth it is 70% of the freshwater which is another concern. As it melts it mixes with saltwater and must go through the full hygronomic cycle. Storms have increased in frequency and power in the last decade. We can only track this back so many years but what's happening has no precedent cycle. The cost of this is becoming a big part of the budget and it gets bigger and bigger every year.

This is not natural or part of a normal cycle.

Unfortunately, the reality of climate change is a fact. I know many people are only in a position to perceive this anecdotally, but as an architect, we are dealing with a rapidly declining situation that is scary. A lot of the "sunken cities" we know about sunk due to tectonic shifting and movement. While ice is only around 2% of the water on earth it is 70% of the freshwater which is another concern. As it melts it mixes with saltwater and must go through the full hygronomic cycle. Storms have increased in frequency and power in the last decade. We can only track this back so many years but what's happening has no precedent cycle. The cost of this is becoming a big part of the budget and it gets bigger and bigger every year.

How do we really know this isn't a natural or normal cycle?

How many volcanoes were active in earth's history and how much pollution did they spew?
The earth was covered in ice once, how do we really know what is normal with climate evolution?

Are humans extremely destructive? We as a species sure are...are we affecting the climate more than all the volcanoes....I'm not really sure personally.

How do we really know this isn't a natural or normal cycle?

How many volcanoes were active in earth's history and how much pollution did they spew?
The earth was covered in ice once, how do we really know what is normal with climate evolution?

Are humans extremely destructive? We as a species sure are...are we affecting the climate more than all the volcanoes....I'm not really sure personally.
We don't know. But rather than giving random anecdotally based speculation equal weight to observable scientific evidence we've researched, develop a hypothesis, and then continue to research for evidence that supports our thesis or challenges it, and then we evolve it. That's how intelligent people solve problems.

Think about it this way. You have seen weather not change that much where you live. But in other places, it has changed radically. Should you draw a conclusion on your limited observations or by a global analysis with actual records?

Soooooo . . . we can only track this back so many years but we know this is NOT natural or part of a normal cycle . . . aaah righteeoh then.

Wrong thread-you're thinking this is the "politics" section...
No you missed my point. Obama is very pro climate change so why is he building a house on a coast if the coast are going to be gone soon? Also Al Gore said that scientists predicted that in 2007 that by 2013 all polar ice would be melted. Well at least a 75% chance hahahah.

We don't know. But rather than giving random anecdotally based speculation equal weight to observable scientific evidence we've researched, develop a hypothesis, and then continue to research for evidence that supports our thesis or challenges it, and then we evolve it. That's how intelligent people solve problems.

Think about it this way. You have seen weather not change that much where you live. But in other places, it has changed radically. Should you draw a conclusion on your limited observations or by a global analysis with actual records?
I speculate there is money involved in this hypothesis for someone somewhere...there usually is.

As long as I can remember, Ethiopia has been in a drought, North America experienced a huge drought in the '20s, lakes dry up whereas others overflow their banks..

The climate is a crazy evolving thing, we humans can only guess as to where it's been and where it is going...our recorded knowledge of weather patterns and climate is extremely short compared to the age of the earth itself.

No you missed my point. Obama is very pro climate change so why is he building a house on a coast if the coast are going to be gone soon? Also Al Gore said that scientists predicted that in 2007 that by 2013 all polar ice would be melted. Well at least a 75% chance hahahah.
As soon as we see any political figures mentioned in a thread other than the political cage, we get a little gun shy as it could and normally does lead to the thread flying apart at the seams...

I wish you were right and I could agree with you.
The sad thing is once beyond a certain level, it is no longer reversible.
BTW, I have a negative footprint around 20 tons per year of CO2. No rocket science, it can be calculated using empirical lab results and simple math.

CO2_emissions_vs_concentrations_1751-2019_lrg.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: pcs
I wish you were right and I could agree with you.
The sad thing is once beyond a certain level, it is no longer reversible.
BTW, I have a negative footprint around 20 tons per year of CO2. No rocket science, it can be calculated using empirical lab results and simple math.

View attachment 1636666
I think you may be right about us not being able to reverse it. The fact that it's happening there is a ton of science to prove. I haven't seen the same science saying we can reverse it.

Except for the minimal rain and snow this winter the current temps are about the same as last year, albeit a little early. Once again it’s a drought year though and (everything) is flammable. Whatever the downed tree removal efforts are around me and the Park, I’m afraid it’s not going to have much of an effect if a fire gets started. The last fire got to within nine miles from my home. I’ve had to buy home (fire) insurance from a different company every year I’ve been here. They either don’t renew or want to charge me hundreds more to renew saying they’re not issuing new policies in my area. This, despite being just a couple miles from a Cal Fire station and having a fire hydrant across the road from me.
14032541-817B-424B-8194-F30D5BF24BAF.jpeg

Climate change or global warming as it used to be called is an unproven hypothesis. Lots to unpack on this huge topic so lets keep it short and simple.

Fact: We are currently still in the last ice age and have not entered the interglacial period (you know a period without glaciers)

Fact: During Roman times it was so much warmer that they grew grapes in England, not so much today.

Fact: Most climate models don't include clouds / water vapor, the single biggest greenhouse gas by a huge margin.

Fact: The vast majority of the earth does not have weather/temperature stations and there are very few in the oceans so we are working with an incomplete data set at best and a completely false one at worst.

Climate change may be real but our limited resources are better used elsewhere. I don't know maybe getting all the plastic out of the oceans, or feeding and educating the worlds children

There's good evidence for both arguments. The weather records of the last hundred or so years...I think I remember seeing a video about analyzing the air bubbles from past eons indicating the radical atmospheric changes that have taken place. All that matters is what's happening right now and how to control it regardless of if it's natural or not. If nature makes life for humans rough, I'm in favor of changing nature. That's what we have always done and that's why we're not extinct.

Back